Friday, 8 September 2017

Daughter of the Short Memory

For my mother's sewing machine
Anyone recognise this?  Yes, it's the instruction book from a 1959, state of the art, sewing machine. My mother always had the latest appliances and she was always sewing and knitting  (Passap knitting machine). Thus when she finally got a new one, I got to bring (with some strengthening of my right arm) this extremely sturdy old thing back to South Africa. It did everything, had all the amazing attachments like the 'roll hemmer' and a vast array of embroidery stitches. When my daughter got married and needed a machine, I lent her this one, having preserved its instruction book, which fitted tidily inside the lid in a niche designed for it. A couple of years later, she gave the machine back, having preferred a cheap, light Chinese job, but minus the instruction book.  She claimed adamantly that she had never had it !!  At this point, I was not only very annoyed, as said book had been guarded  by me for 30 years, but I needed to lend the machine to an old lady, a prolific sewer, whose own one had packed up.  I had to give it to her without the book.  Amazingly, her ancient husband did a Google exercise, found the manual and printed it all out.  In the course of time they returned the machine, but the printed pages were rather blurry, nothing like as useful as the original. A year after that, having moved house, my daughter produced the precious book, airily declaring that she had 'found it among my things' and hotly denying that she had ever said she didn't have it (???)  I was open-mouthed and speechless.
On reflection, I remembered lending them various things which they claim not to have had:  viz a large gazebo-like tent, a high riser  (car child seat) amongst others. The silver lining is that the machine now resides with one of my sisters-in-law, whose lovely Bernina was stolen from the back of their pick-up truck. Soon she will be in possession of the original book: she's older than me, so I know she will appreciate it.

4 comments:

  1. So daughter is blameless too. I see she takes after her father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite right. She is like him in every way.

      Delete
  2. I do remember a booklet like this, as my mother too had a Singer - I don't think it was a 1959 model. She started sewing in earnest in the 60's when we children came along.

    It was used for many years for making children's clothing, but later she turned to quilting, making up to 13 quilts each year. When she passed and Dad was moved to the nursing home, it was sold though I cannot remember to whom.

    As for blameless daughters, I too have one. She's currently supposed to be searching for the second remote for my garage door. Sheesh, adult children can be a pain!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen - and I thought it was our generation that can't remember things.

      Delete