Thursday, 3 November 2016

Patience

 
Even better than the empty pots

Patience is not one of my strong suits, though I am still practising. Perhaps one area in which there are lessons to be learned is in one's garden.  The first test is the never-ending war against pests such as snails, ants and in our particular garden - a tortoise who will do anything to get hold of pink or yellow blossoms.  Then two years ago we spent ages trying to hack out the roots of large, spiky aloes which had broken through their fibreglass pots.  After three days we gave up, leaving the pots still half full of (a hopefully dead) mass of roots. For two years the empty pots stood dormant, decorative (and dead) so last season we had another go and put in drought-resistant succulents which we got as small plants from the local nursery.  They grew large and green, but after 11 months had produced no flowers. My husband was all for digging them out, but a garden-wise sister-in-law was visiting and she said, "Just give them a chance".  Voil√†!  Spring has just sprung in our part of the world and this is the result.  They give us great pleasure every time we look out of our upstairs window or come back from the shops.  They will probably look like this for six months. Definitely worth the wait.  This arum lily, known locally as a 'pig's ear' was determined to thrive among the last few wild flowers of September.  You can only admire it's persistence. They are popular in bridal bouquets here but they bruise easily. Working with them takes a lot of patience.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful pop of color in those pots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those black eyed susan's in the bottom photo? Indeed patience pays off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those sights would definitely brighten up my day. Nature and wild animals have that affect on me.

    Deer visit my yard in the mornings and I love it. (You probably know that the large grassy area in front and behind our house is our "yard." It took me a while to learn that to others, it's the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giggle. I also tend to think I own the patch of 'veldt' that I see from my kitchen window where the guinea fowl and little deer visit daily.

      Delete