Monday, 21 November 2016

An Amazing Coincidence

Google image

I have been trying to re-start my novel lately, as, being retired, you do. Then I thought, "Who on earth would want to read about a novel set in the sixties"?  Well, probably not the young generation. What was I thinking?  Then one day last week I switched on the radio to my favourite program - "Woman's World" broadcast from London - and I heard someone being interviewed about her new book.  This someone's name was (say, Elmarie Venter), and I thought, funny, I was at school with someone of that name.  Then the interviewer went on that the writer was born in 1950 (my age) and went to CHSforGirls, (my school!) Not only that, she was in my class. Oh my goodness, it must be her - and her book was about the sixties, the Mods & Rockers, and about our home town.  The interview lasted about 5 minutes. What are the chances? So I looked her up and sent an e-mail. What a great correspondence ensued, swapping memories of old times - she even remembered my nickname. She is a retired barrister and is on her third book. Sales are looking fantastic. She is so excited. So am I.  Of course, women our age read these things. I confess for the first time in my life to a tiny competitive instinct. I tried to find the words I wrote two years ago: I had forgotten what I called the file, but no matter, I found it eventually. I've started again: it was a bit depressing as my first 3500 words became 2999 after I had done some editing of the appalling bits. Still. Although it is progressing slowly, I find I need to churn bits of plot over in my mind before committing anything to paper. I admire the real writers who are disciplined enough to force themselves to sit down every day and do so many words. The thing that worries me most is that there are no murders or gory bits - the things that I like to read myself. About the coincidence though.

It's almost enough to stop me being an etheist. They say a coincidence occurs when God wants to appear anonymous. 

7 comments:

  1. That is pretty amazing. I wish I could be more disciplined about writing myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all kinds of good story ideas but couldn't write a paragraph. Kudos to you for getting as far as you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi -- I am a novelist 65 years old. Please believe in your work! I would be happy to read a draft. My blog is at mystorylives.blogspot.com. My email is claudiajricci@gmail.com. I have no idea how I ended up reading your blog but it is a compelling post! Happy Thanksgiving and where do you live? I live in western Massachusetts! My website is claudiaricci.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I married a South African when I was travelling about in 1976, but my heart remains in England where I was born. I live in Cape Town, South Africa.

      Delete
  4. here is the first chapter of my third novel which will be an ebook soon!

    http://renata1883.blogspot.com/2016/11/sister-mysteries-chapter-one.html

    do you live in England? How did I end up at your blogsite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this. I shall look for some great writing tips. Although I started my blog 10 years ago - I am now 66 and reluctant to change the title.

      Delete
  5. A friend posted a quote on her blog by someone named Karen Lamb. The quote is "A year from now you will wish you had started today."

    I've had soooo many entrepreneurial projects over the years, but have allowed myself to be interrupted by lack of drive, marriage, children, etc. In all honesty, I believe it has mainly been fear.

    I'm now 59 and feel that my last shot at "it" could be now; therefore, another project is in the works and I hope I can stay with it!

    What will you do? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete