Tuesday, 6 September 2016

Pamper Party for 7-year olds?

 
My grand-daughters, aged 5 and 7


Although I sympathise that mother's rack their brains each year to think of a theme for their child's party, I do wonder whether a 'pamper' party  (this was not a known term when my own children were small) is suitable for so young an age.  We already worry that our little/big girls worry too much about their looks so is it healthy to emphasize hair/nails/skin/appearance at this young age?  What happened to party games: I remember fondly Musical Chairs/Statues, Pass the Parcel and Hide and Seek etc. at this age - all organised by my mother.  Is it just that times have changed and we are faced with The Evil Media and Keeping Up With the Joneses? What does anyone think?

7 comments:

  1. I am certainly not a fan. Kids grow up way too fast as it is1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Olga, as usual. Well its hard to beat Yankee commonsense. I have read that sexualizing little girls before puberty is a very bad idea. People think it is cute, but it actually may instill body image and self esteem problems. Little girls want to be enchanted princesses, not sexy vamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I try subtly to make my opinion known in the family.

      Delete
  3. We call the little girls that are dressed too old for their age PROSTITOTS. Their moms just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember (guiltily) how we lost the battle with my daughter in the '80s when the fashion for teenagers was a piece of material (without bra) worn in front, connected by precarious stringy-looking straps at the back. My daughter was well-endowed to boot. Thank goodness she survived her teens without harm of any kind.

      Delete
    2. My comments were limited to girls prior to puberty. Teenagers?

      Agggghhhhhhhhh! Both male and female, an entirely different species suffering from hormone poisoning. I have no idea how to handle them.

      Delete
  4. In high school I bought 1 blouse that was totally see through and a white tank top to go underneath. My mom hadn't seen the tank yet and told me if I wanted to look like a hooker than go ahead and wear it. Both of them hung in my closet and I NEVER wore either and I never looked like a hooker.

    ReplyDelete