Friday, 5 August 2016

Learning to Draw Faces

First attempt on the left


So this is my new hobby, mindful of the fact that to ward off Altzheimer's one needs to learn new things.  I am trying to teach myself to draw.  These are my first two attempts plus the photograph out of a book I am trying to reproduce, of a Greek fisherman.
I should point out I was useless at art at school, but I have heard anyone can be taught to draw. Well I can't afford lessons but have taken the bull by the horns and have decided to have six attempts at drawing this man's face. I am puzzled that I can't seem to capture his slightly sinister look at all. My first effort looks more like the man's father or perhaps his brother?  My second attempt completely failed around the eye area (looked like a five-year old's effort) - to such an extent that I have been obliged to close his eyes and pretend he is sleeping. I spent about half an hour on the first try and maybe twenty minutes on the second, although I realised I could spend another hour trying to get the eyes right - that's when I gave up.  I wonder what the secret is?  I understand that I could learn various technical things about drawing faces in general e.g. they eyes should be half-way down the entire skull area (shouldn't they?) Surely I should be able to just observe the original carefully enough to translate the eye to the hand?  Also, the second attempt is on textured paper in a sketch book, whereas the first was on smooth paper from my printer. I guess the answer is just to keep trying. It is certainly an absorbing and frustrating challenge. I assume I will improve with practice? Funny that my first effort looks to me better than my second. 

6 comments:

  1. I think it might be the dark shading of the photo. Hard to capture as a novice, but if it was easy, well, what challenge to the brain would that be? (p.s., they are calling Alzheimer's now Diabetes Type 3...so laying off sugar is very helpful in warding it off.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your opinion, that is very helpful - maybe I should try white chalk on black paper? Also, the sugar tip!

      Delete
  2. I think you are being a bit hard on yourself and that you are off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kailani and Olga. The black and white photo has some severe contrast in shading, and you are being way too hard on yourself. If my 100th attempt was half as good as either of yours I would be ecstatic. I am pretty much lost beyond stick figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't buy the stick-figure thing. It's just whether you have an interest. It will be a while before I try the recommended exercise (re right/left brain stimulation) of trying to draw the face upside-down.

      Delete