Wednesday, 27 July 2016

Thoughts on Clothes - Colours


Dressing for a dreary day

It was my birthday recently and I was given by a close family member, a nice scarf, which unfortunately is 'not my colors'.  One would think that a person you see often would notice what one wears and buy accordingly, although I have never been able to buy any item of clothing for my own daughter, who appears to dislike (on principle) anything that I choose. It would be arbitrarily defined as 'old-fashioned'.  So I don't go there. Actually, I dare not give her anything other than a general mall Gift Voucher, which she declares is the best present ever.  Still.  It's nice to wrap something up. My point is that the person in question favors (in my view) very dowdy and dingy colors viz. either black or grey. She also rarely wears make-up and thus, (also in my biassed view), does not make the most of herself and indeed, appears to be trying to efface herself from the landscape. This, to me, is silly, as she is actually a very attractive young person. Personally, I have a wardrobe fully of vibrant colors - there is nothing like putting on a bright, red item of clothing to cheer up a winter's day or indeed, to cheer oneself up whenever one is feeling a little down.  I like to vary the image: sometimes I feel extrovert and want to be noticed, others I like to look 'soft and feminine - ergo, some pastel pinks or blues - these are more often my summer colors.  When I was once in central London in winter however, I observed that there seemed to be a uniform of unrelieved black - scarf, gloves, overcoat, Cossack hats - as if the whole of London was going to a giant funeral. I get this to an extent: black is a 'power' color. You have to fit the image if you are a working girl/or guy. Remember the time when we all got 'color-coded'?  It was a big deal, here in South Africa - you had swatches of fabric placed next to your face at someone's home and were declared suited either to "summer/winter/fall or spring" colors.  Interestingly, some women already had it right - others had not a clue. Doesn't everyone know what suits them? I'm only talking colors here.

8 comments:

  1. I've been told I look good in white and pink so I go with those often but I also like bright colors. Red, orange, bright neon green or yellow. I used to be a neutral wearer all the time, I was too shy to be noticed. Now though, I'm all out there every chance I get.
    But I can't pick a good gift if my life depends on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also no good at gifts - I try to copy those that are. Your colors sound wonderful.

      Delete
  2. No I dont know what color suits me, pastels I think but I like bright colors and on a dreary day, nice. I do like your bright shirt. Funny about the mall gift card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe choice of lots of color goes along with maturity and confidence.

      Delete
  3. What I know about color in fashions you could lose in a thimble, but I will say you look very nice in that top.

    For evening wear I don't think one can beat a little black dress with red accessories. But I am dowdy old man.

    The only firm opinion I have on color in fashion is that I have a minor fetish for conservative red high heels. This is the shoe right here:

    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-T75ckiVPaaU/Tp9bALAkAcI/AAAAAAAAAzE/og5KFXvIQ90/s1600/Red_High_Heel_Pumps.jpg

    Three inch heel max, not patent leather, no bows, no open toes, no straps, no frills, no stilettos, no ridiculous plexiglass platforms. Simple, sexy, and sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classy and classic - just like you. (My husband also loves red - I still have (and wear) a red dress he bought me when we were courting.

      Delete
  4. I remember the "color me beautiful" craze. I still have my little notebook of color swatches too. I like your orange top. I have lots of brights too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You strike me as a colorful personality.

      Delete