Monday, 11 July 2016

How To Give up Your Nightly Tipple

Google image

I have absolutely no good advice to give on this topic as we have so far dismally failed in all our attempts to do this.  It just seems that at the end of either a rewarding or equally difficult day - our thoughts turn to a nice glass of wine (me), or a very solid whisky (him). There is nothing quite like sitting down at your computer to write a blog post  - with a nice glass of something at your side.  We have tried various things to restrict ourselves, perhaps just at week-ends, we say,  - but there are always so many good reasons to carry on viz: "I've really worked hard today and achieved a lot - I deserve a drink".  Or: "I can't believe our team lost at rugby today - I need a drink to console myself", or conversely, " Our team won! We must celebrate with a couple of drinks!" Or: "We will start on Monday .....( read also starting any kind or diet). Another reason to continue this habit is that we can still afford to buy the liquor.  However, we are fairly recently retired so things are still good - however, in future the cost factor may be a compelling reason to limit our drinks to week-ends or when we have visitors. My theory is that if we don't have the drink in the house, temptation will be so much less.  If the bottles are standing on the shelf......!   Our biggest enemy in this regard is the discount stores.  Woe betide our resolution if the whisky is advertised at an unbeatable price, my husband just can't resist, reasoning at the time that we must have something in the house to offer visitors. I have even heard myself asking the manager at our favourite store to raise the price to help us to stop buying. No joy.  Why bother you might well ask?  It is not as if we are alcoholics. (At least, I don't think so). We went without any alcohol two years ago for a whole week on a cruise ship from Cape Town to Madagascar, because the Italian company has the audacity to charge for everything on board in dollars (which is extremely expensive for us). We actually didn't miss it, just drank juice and coffee.  Didn't do us any harm at all. Still, at this stage in our lives - maybe we should have a care for our livers. 

6 comments:

  1. I have a glass of wine right here, as I read your post...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am spared that particular vice. I got into wine a few years ago. I really enjoyed learning about it, love the food groupings, love the beauty of it in the glass, love the bouquet, love the bottles and I enjoyed shopping for it. I loved everything about wine except drinking it. Gives me a headache.

    I have read that a glass of red wine is beneficial. I am just not sure that I believe it. Also I am fairly certain that edict does not apply to whiskey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be useful to get a headache. I get no side effects unless the red wine is too young - tends to give me asthma. Am sure red wine and whisky (in moderation) are good for us.

      Delete
  3. I don't drink alcohol, but my father did...a lot. So I can relate in this aspect. You have a very nice blog. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the compliment and for your visit.

      Delete