Thursday, 21 July 2016

Do Sweat the Small Stuff

Google image

The thing is, it is usually the small stuff that is inclined to make us bad-tempered on a daily basis - so why not fix it if you can?  I find that I am quickly put into a "less than polite" mood if I have to fetch a stepladder from a distance of say, 30 yards, when I want to reach up to the top cupboards in my clothes closet.  My husband doesn't have this problem, but I am 5'5", I need a stepladder for many areas in my house. We have a ladder in the kitchen, in my laundry room (so I can reach to set up my retractable clothes line), in the downstairs room so I reach to the top shelves of our bookcase and now I have demanded one for our walk-in clothes closet, as I have been trying, unsuccessfully mostly, to throw things up to the top shelf only to have them fall down on my head. Of course, this all revolves around the debate of what is an 'average' height?  The work surfaces are just a bit too high for me in our kitchen but the builders demanded that they be fixed to a 'standard' height.  This is quite difficult to argue with in our house as my husband does as much cooking as I do. The other thing is that we have designed all our cupboards to reach up to the ceilings as I don't want a gap where things both untidily accumulate and also gather dust. I suppose you can't have it all ways. Maybe I should just have been born a bit taller.

7 comments:

  1. I'm 5'4" and HATE being short. I'm thinking about making my kitchen island a bit shorter than AVERAGE when I redo it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! Don't let anyone persuade you otherwise.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Olga - glad there is a Sisterhood of the Short (ish - I have friends less than 5')

      Delete
  3. I have similar problems and have a step stool that I can carry about. However, I'm on my own so don't have to worry about sharing a closet.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, we have a step stool outside our kitchen door (leads to the garage), and a folding chair in our upstairs master bedroom, so I'm covered. (at 5 ft. 2 in.) And hi...new to your blog!

    ReplyDelete