Thursday, 31 March 2016

Affirmation of Devotion


Google image
OK, so no-one is interested in an 'echoey house', hence the new title...... We are now safely back home after almost three weeks away on our usual route. I am looking forward to catching up with everyone (hope Olga's cold is better now !!)  One of our stops was at my sister-in-law's family's house at the coast. It is a 3-storey building, bedrooms on the ground floor, the kitchen and lounge above, and half-way up to the high roof a mezzanine which houses their excellent hi-fi system with it's six speakers. We had been told to keep our windows closed in the bedrooms because of marauding monkeys and one night last year a potential burglar had showed his face outside.  (He had been scared off by my nephew shouting at him in Xhosa). One evening, my brother-in-law and I were upstairs listening to some marvelous Mozart opera.  I might have been singing along with the soprano.  My husband and his sister were down in the lounge. The next thing I heard my husband frantically shouting my name.  "Go away," I yelled, as the music was reaching a crescendo and I wanted to enjoy it. There seemed to be a far-away sound of scuffling downstairs but we ignored it. Some minutes later, my husband came puffing up to join us, very hyped-up. He had thought he heard me scream, he said (clearly I don't sing too well) and had interpreted my "Go away" incorrectly, so he had dashed downstairs, to fearlessly confront my attacker.  My sister-in-law said she had never seem him move so fast. She was deeply impressed and confided that he must love me very much.  A satisfying, if slightly worrying conclusion considering that he had run in completely the wrong direction. Funny how sound carries.

No comments:

Post a Comment