Sunday, 21 February 2016

You Can't Shock the Internet

 
Google image

You won't believe what I have spent my Sunday afternoon doing! All guesses incorrect. I have been cleaning beneath my toilet seats. Needless to say, as I am expecting VIP visitors next week, I have been obliged to clean my house and while doing a bit each day for the last week, I remembered that my sister-in-law once confided to me that wherever she visits, she lifts the seat to see if the underside has been cleaned. I may just add that she is one of those anal people who won't sit on a public toilet, no matter how immaculate the location. She squats in mid-air (you can only admire her muscle tone). As she would form part of the family grape-vine, I decided to check mine out. Horrors! Yellow stains under all four toilet seats. That is not the shocking part. This is:  For 38 years  (the length of my marriage) I thought the seats turned yellow with age. In my defence, I have tried to clean these areas with various kinds of bleach: to no effect. Thank God for Google!  I discovered that many people confess to the same problem but unlike me, acknowledge that these are urine stains. I hide my head in shame. However, there was light at the end of the tunnel - it was commonly agreed that a paste of Bicarbonate of Soda (that magic stuff) and vinegar (another amazing cleaner) would do the trick.  One respondent did mention the addition of elbow grease and a scourer.  This advice nearly resulted in my reaching for my asthma pump, but did achieve the desired result.  I can now almost brag about the cleanliness of my toilet seats' undersides, except for that little area around the hinge.  When I announced my intention to my husband yesterday, he helpfully suggested that he remove the seats in the interests of thorough cleaning, but I refused, envisioning extra work for myself.  However, I haven't been able to do the hinges properly.  I know my husband:  when I show him my good work, he will have a look, remove the seats and finish the job himself.

5 comments:

  1. Always a good plan to get someone else to do the hard part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my husband go buy new seats for our new house because the old ones were so gross. The house had been empty for 2-3 years and the toilets were NASTY.
    Maybe you should put a note under the seat for her??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea re the note - I'm tempted - but maybe not.

      Delete
  3. And it's not just the rim or underside of the seat... check the front part of the bowl for "drippings" and the floor that surrounds the toilet. Ugh! Sister-in-law will be checking. :)

    ps. I'm a squatter, too. No sitting on public toilets for the quick pee pee. Beyond that, I have to sufficiently line the seat with toilet tissue before I sit.

    I know... TMI, but thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not bad with the bits that show, but I do look for "drips' in public toilets.

      Delete