Sunday, 14 February 2016

Matters of Manners

You know how annoying it is when you run for the lift (elevator), there are people inside but they pretend not to see you and the lift door closes?  Of course, we have all been both the unseeing person inside and also the one hoping the door won't close, on the outside, looking in. Sometimes I feel benevolent, when inside, and charitably, feeling very virtuous and well-mannered, I push the button and wait. Last week, we were on the outside, just in time to see the people inside looking guilty and apologetic. Had they tried to keep the doors open?  Luckily, the adjacent lift arrived immediately and both lifts arrived upstairs within seconds of each other. To my surprise, the ladies in the other one approached us and apologized profusely for not getting the door to stay open. How rude we must have thought them, they said!  How odd for them to worry what we thought, we thought. You still get nice people.  On a slightly related topic: our vegetables have been ransacked by a porcupine who managed to get under our motor gate, ate all my beautiful melons, beetroot, peppers, dug up my spinach and ate the roots and generally trampled my garden.
Melon showing teeth & claw marks

The following night, while we were shell-shocked, he returned and finished the rest. 
This was my young avocado tree
Our sympathetic retired-farmer neighbors dispensed advice regarding bait (I had a few carrots and one potato), and lent us their porcupine trap which, as you can see, is quite impressive and saved my husband the job of building one.
Porcupine trap
We've had it up for three nights with no luck: clearly the porcupine is not stupid and also smells that there is as yet nothing more for him to eat.  Meanwhile, I have discovered about 6 more beautiful melons ripening at their peril. We have bought aluminium strips with which to block off the motor gate but hubby refuses to fix them at this stage: he feels he must give the trap a week in order to be politely grateful for the neighbor's efforts. They had made a special trip back to the farm in order to fetch the trap on their pick-up. I just know that someone in this house will be extremely unpopular if I find my other melons eaten before the week is up. 






5 comments:

  1. I hope that trap works and if it does, please get a picture of him in it. But what happens if you do catch him?
    In all of my life I've only seen 1 porcupine and that was when I was in Jr High school. Our neighbors had an apple tree and he climbed up it and spent the day there. Mostly we have raccoons that ransack our hen house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a photo. I think we will have to phone the Parks Board to come and fetch him - we live next to a National Park.

      Delete
  2. In a opposite situation, I once ran for an elevator in a parking garage and the woman inside was madly punching the button to close the door. I wasn't quick enough in my thoughts, but I wished I had refused to get on. She was extremely uncomfortable and I don't like being regarded as a potential criminal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame but you should get her point. I was once groped by a man in a lift (crutch) with only the two of us in it. He did it just before the lift stopped and jumped out at the next floor. It was shocking experience.

      Delete
    2. Oh I got her point alright, like I say, I wished I had the presence of mind to not have got on. Bastards who do shit like that should be hunted down and prosecuted, but it seldom happens.

      Delete