Friday, 19 February 2016

Fate was Favourable this time

Mom's necklace

You may remember the last disaster of our long-distance purchase of a small Pajero? Well, we finally sold it (at a big loss, having fixed all it's problems) two weeks ago, and my husband has been moping around ever since, suffering both buyer's/seller's remorse, and wishing he could have another vehicle post haste, preferably of an affordable price and with a tow-bar. It transpired last month that I took my mother's pearl necklace in to have it repaired, it having broken after being tugged on around my neck once too often by a grandchild.  Being genuine pearls, it just broke in one place as there are individual knots between each pearl; a painstaking business, I imagine, but 70 years ago when it was first strung, there was still pride and professionalism in the workplace. When I went to collect it, typically of my timid self, I thought it looked a bit short and said nothing, but when I got home and put it on, it nearly choked me - at least an inch shorter than it had been. Steeling myself to complain, I phoned immediately (I was actually a bit cross), and was surprised that the jeweller was most apologetic: he had been obliged to contract some work out lately, he said, as they had been so busy.  I was told that the incorrect silk had been used (I think no knots), and that I should bring it back and he would re-string it himself.  So back we went the next day, and as luck would have it, as we drove through the main street of the neighboring town, my husband's eagle eye spotted his dream car at a "Park and Sell" plot next to the road, unbelievably, at a price we could afford. 
To cut a long story short, negotiations were made, a test drive up the street, and the deal is done, pending new tyres, a new windscreen, spare key/remote found, admin and roadworthy test accomplished. My husband is finally a happy man: for the moment. I wonder when my necklace will be ready? We fetch the car tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Yay for pearls, yay for hubby being happy with his new wheels. I can't wait until you share your next big adventure that you use it for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I am a bit ashamed to admit that this vehicle has been purchased to save the life of our other car which must last until they put us in a box. The Pajero,s destiny is mainly to launch our boat in our salt water lagoon and make short trips to the shops. It was born in 2002. The other is for long distance adventures.

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Those sound like magic pearls. Be careful what you wish for around them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wearing them makes me feel close to my mom, sadly closer than when she was alive.

      Delete