Sunday, 31 January 2016

Put Your Best Foot Forward

Google image

Now where did I hear that? I guess it's one of those sayings you take for granted, that is until your best foot betrays you.  About six weeks ago, I missed my footing, not seeing a step down onto paving with the result that I felt a jarring right up my leg into my hip.  Thereafter followed a painful few weeks during which I got some physio help and had to just wait for things to heal. Unfortunately, during that time I hurt the same side again - lost my footing on a dirt road (slippery pebbles on the downhill) while we were walking ahead to see if the 4 x 4 vehicle could handle the terrain around the corner.  Same story - another four weeks, I was told.  Then we had that flood three weeks ago: lost my footing the next day in a remaining puddle in a dark part of the house. There is no way you can save yourself if you slip on water, so down I went again, same side. Each time I had started from a stationary position right foot first. Another four weeks. Is this something to do with being right-footed? If I attempt to kick a ball, it has to be with my right foot, playing the piano was always easier with the right hand; my joints have swollen on my right hand more than on the left.  Whatever the explanation, since my right foot has turned traitor, my best foot is now my left.

7 comments:

  1. That is a worrisome amount of falls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Olga, are you sure you are not having any balance issues? That said though, it is very easy when one is older to keep re-injuring a trauma before it properly heals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, my balance is very good - witness gym classes - we have to stand stork-like on one leg. I am one of the few who doesn't have to go to the wall for support. Nah, each time it was a freak thing, but I am being very careful now.

      Delete
  3. Ouch. Falling sucks, I hope you're well on the road to recovery now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope there's no long term damage.

    I must ask, though... Can you laugh at yourself? :) My husband fell today on our snowy front porch steps. He banged his knee and may be sore tomorrow. I didn't see it happen, but can't help having a little giggle when I picture him trying to get up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...it depends. When we weren't married long, I stood on the prongs of my garden rake - the other end flew up and hit me on the ear. While I was seeing stars and also a little blood, my husband was having a good laugh. I didn't think it was so funny.

      Delete