Monday, 18 January 2016

All Hands on Deck

Ok, it wasn't this bad, but it felt like it

It never rains but it pours.  We've had suicidally hot temperatures lately and so much time has been spent in the pool.  This week-end was no exception especially as we had big son and his family with us. Sunday afternoon found all of us cavorting in the pool and finally I decided to get out and attend to food.  As I walked up the steps to the front door I heard the sound of water running. To my horror I saw a torrent pouring down the stairs already on it's way to my carpeted downstairs bedrooms. I raced outside shouting "Flood, flood", galvanizing big son into action. He raced upstairs to find the leak while my husband gazed around bemused trying to work out what was happening (hearing aids out for swimming). When he could be made to understand, he dashed off to the pavement to cut off the main water supply.  Water still pumping downstairs, I rushed to barricade the entrance to the bedrooms with towels.  The culprit? Not immediately obvious, no faucets left on in any room: eventually traced to pipes behind the new cupboard hubby has just finished in the pantry (our living rooms are upstairs for the view). We used to have our washing machine there but moved it to another room about a year ago. The two pipes were blanked off at that time. One of the 'blank-off' fittings - made of pewter -  had rusted through and finally sheared off. The brass one (they should all have been brass) was fine.  When we had finally finished mopping up operations I started wondering, "what if we had been away??" No-one comes into the house except us.  I can't imagine when the leak would have been noticed as water coming out under the front door (having first flooded the whole house upstairs and down) would have gone down the steps and into the pool, not visible from the street. A ghastly prospect, so now hubby is going to install a cut-off tap in the driveway just before the water supply enters the house. When we go away next time, we'll turn it off. At least the last time we had a bad flood, small son still lived at home and both sons were in the neighborhood to clean up the mess. Note to self: get to know our neighbors better, leave keys with them and ask them to look in occasionally.  That should go some way to peace of mind when we are away.

4 comments:

  1. We had a flood like that once while away. Fortunately our neighbor noticed the windows were fogged up and went to investigate. He called us and arranged for a clean up crew to come in after he and his wife used a couple wet vacs to get up water. Good neighbors are worth their weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad they had keys to get in.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Close call. Good thing you caught it in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I had caught myself. The next day I slipped on a remaining (hidden) puddle and hurt the same hip that I had sat down on when I lost my footing on loose pebbles on a mountain road two weeks ago. This is the same hip that got jarred just before Christmas when I didn't see a big step down... clearly, Sod's Law at work.

      Delete