Thursday, 3 December 2015

Just the Job




I don't want you to think I brag about my husband when I describe things that he does, but as I spend a portion of every day checking on him (to prevent injury) when he is in his garage, I necessarily notice what he is up to.  Also, everything he does, he thinks is so elementary that anyone with 'a bit of common sense' could do the same and he is not in the least big-headed about his skills. (Pig-headed, yes, on many occasions, but then so am I). Also, my life is not very exciting at the moment. The other day, he was working on something and to his exasperation the bridge of his spectacles broke, rendering his eyes totally useless for all but long-distance. He telephoned his optician who spent such a long time tracking down a replacement part, that he couldn't wait and so fixed them himself for the time being.  Copper wire and stainless steel.  He did gloat a bit when informing me that it had indeed been worthwhile saving the copper from those armatures (he has several thicknesses) all those years ago; he knew they would come in useful one day. The day finally came. Fortunately, he has lately cleaned up his garage a lot and re-organised a lot of small stuff: hence, he was able to lay hands on this wire quite quickly. He does so remind me of my father, although when his glasses broke in later years, he was so blind, they were usually fixed with sticky tape, much to my mother's embarrassment.

7 comments:

  1. Such accidents are why I keep two or three pair of glasses. Also, by having more than one pair, I can reserve the oldest and most beat-up pair for when I’m working because modern plastic lens are a lot easier to scratch than the old glass lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does have spares for screws etc. but his last prescription (multi-focals) was a lot stronger than the previous one. Also, he is hoping to ditch glasses altogether in January when he must go for a cataract op. It's only in one eye though, so I suppose he will still need glasses?

      Delete
    2. “It's only in one eye though, so I suppose he will still need glasses?”

      I should think--but new ones at that. I also think that people who have cataract surgery sometimes need reading glasses based upon the few that I've talked to.

      Delete
  2. Impressive and neat job he did with that wire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. The current completed project is more cupboards in our pantry. However, I personally think he relies too much on a tape measure - I would just use my eye, especially when either the wall/floor/ceiling being skew makes a mockery of meticulous measurements.

      Delete
  3. That is very clever. Although I really don't like to hear about those things people hang on to finally coming in handy--because I would have thrown them all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know what you have kept of Mike's? Did he ever write you letters? I have not a single one from my own husband, so I've had to keep the odd birthday card.

      Delete