Friday, 4 December 2015

Finished!

 
Memory blanket

Insofar anything in life is really ever finished, I have spent the last four weeks frantically knitting/crocheting a 'memory' blanket for the nice lady who gave me that fantastic gift of a whole load of unfinished sweaters and odd balls of wool. I thought, as she is such a colorful character herself, that she might appreciate as a thank-you gift, a sort of very very long shawl with the dual purpose of reminding her of her unfinished projects as well as being a very decent warmer during our winter months when, as sure as eggs is eggs, we will experience more power cuts during which times we are begged to save electricity.  I have used every color she gave me and included at least one square of the pattern and yarn of each of the sweaters: I still have plenty of wool to finish all of them. It took two afternoons to sew in all the ends but I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
So nice to be retired and able to finish in time for our Book Club Christmas party next Tuesday.  I'll try to remember to take a photo to post of the occasion. We are a great bunch of gals. Although we are all now over sixty, I have to mention that I am one of only 3 of 12 who is not still working in a full-time job. I am so grateful for this as there is still so much to do and I hope, new parts of myself to explore and develop. I am hoping to become a better person in the next few years, you know, less selfish, more tolerant, more patient, wiser, kinder, more worldly, less parochial, more practical, more philosophical, more thoughtful, able to think more laterally, able to contribute a bit, more.... the list goes on.

8 comments:

  1. It's absolutely beautiful!
    And when her family and friends ask where their sweater is that she started 17 years ago, she can point to that particular square and say 'right here'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so relieved. I worried it was a bit over the top. Good point about the sweaters.

      Delete
  2. The perfect gift in this context! And a job well done as well. I am still working on that better person list and I have been retired for a long time now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, a great compliment coming from a perfectionist.

      Delete
  3. It's lovely, I can imagine your friend will be thrilled with your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is work hard if you enjoy it? I confess I have done no housework in a month. To me that is hard work.



      Delete
  4. Nice job on the knitting, although I put my membership card in the man club at risk by saying so.

    As far as that list of improvements go, I have pretty much limited mine to the continuation of breathing. If I continue to manage to achieve that, I may pursue the more modest proposals on your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband knitted himself a sweater once when he was 13 and off school with chicken pox.
      Good luck with the breathing.

      Delete