Monday, 9 November 2015

The Battle of the Bulge and Rolled Oats

 
That's me on the left - (in my dreams)

I added the bit about the Rolled Oats in the post title so as not to mislead World War Two enthusiasts. Of course, I refer to that horrific Spare Tire that appears all of a sudden around one's waist after the age of sixty (if you are lucky enough to defeat nature this long) and seems common to both men and women. As long as I had some stress in my life, I have been able to keep mine mostly at bay,  but over this last year, this first of my husband's retirement, during which we have sat in our car for days on end going up and down country to visit our relatives, for what seems like months at a time, eating/driving/visiting, eating/driving/visiting - my ST has insidiously crept up on me with the clear intent of preventing me from fitting into the summer dresses I have worn and loved for the last ten years. To add insult to injury, during our brief sojourns at home, I had finally got out my sewing machine and finished two dresses that I had cut out about nine years ago and then horrors!  Couldn't fit into them around the waist, although they both drop from under the bustline. Now they hang accusingly in my wardrobe, along with their sisters. Whenever we can, my husband and I try very hard to lose weight, him because his blood pressure pills don't work very well  (170 over...) and he does not tolerate cholesterol pills very well either. We've tried all sorts of diets which used to work when we were younger. Why don't they now?  At the moment, we are cutting portion size, upping our exercise, and at night we have a bowl of muesli (no sugar) and fruit with yoghurt and a decent sprinkling of Rolled Oats. This last ingredient works like magic and has the result of making one's stomach work like clockwork (nay, sometimes even like lightening), the next morning. My current theory is that the food passes through one's system so fast the body has no time to create fat. The other point is that my spare tire took almost a year to expand, so it will probably take just as long to deflate. I soldier on.

6 comments:

  1. DO soldier on and I hope it pays off! :-)

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind reply - I am pretty sure you are not yet at this stage in life. Lucky for you. Enjoy your youth.

      Delete
  2. Sigh...I know the feeling though my spare tire has been building since the onset of menopause. I did manage to lose some weight in January while I was practicing retirement....I changed my diet and got some exercise but since returning to work and the oncoming cool weather I'm struggling to maintain.

    I subscribe to your theory but had not read/heard about rolled oats. Must give it a try. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have taken up eating granola heavy in fiber and oats in the evening. The other morning I had as you say a lightening strike and I had the very same thought that, if this stuff is passing through you like grease through a goose, your caloric, as well as toxin intakes have to be reduced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems absolutely logical to me. Great minds think alike. Also, great not to have to cook and interrupt my evening's TV viewing.

      Delete
  4. I was in Phoenix, Arizona for 2 weeks, FINISHED the Ironman triathlon. leading up to this race I was working out 15 hours a week swimming, biking and running. I didn't lose much fat but GAINED 6 pounds over the course of a year. Now that my race is over I have a feeling I will need to diet and sign up for more races, soon.

    ReplyDelete