Sunday, 8 November 2015

A Serendipitous Sauce

"Discovered by a happy accident"

So it's hello to all you good cooks out there - or alternatively, all of you who have had to cook because of your wifely conscience.  I normally don't make puddings unless we have visitors (a nod to exponentially expanding waistlines as I love puddings) but my son-in-law is an ex-restauranteur and likes something different. He also has a sweet tooth. So when they came for the week-end, I made a Chocolate Tart a la our Sunday Times cooking supplement. Unfortunately, it looked as if it wouldn't set in time for the dinner (maybe I should have bought the fiendishly expensive 70% pure cocoa?), so I put it in the freezer for a while.  Better, but not perfect: still it got eaten, but I did wonder why it looked a lot shallower than when I had put it in the freezer. Two weeks later while rummaging deeply for some frozen peas, I found the answer: some nameless person must have been in there and bumped my precious dessert a bit so that a great deal of the chocolate filling had tipped out. There it was, frozen up against the back of the drawer and over some of my tupperware containers. Must have been at least one third of the filling. I had a lightbulb moment. I needed to make a chocolate sauce that day just to have with ice-cream (big son visiting this time), so I furtively scraped as much as I could off everything and melted it in the microwave. Not quite enough: but I had another idea.  I had come across a small container with chocolate icing - left-overs from when grandchildren were here circa 18 months ago, and we made cup cakes. In it went: still needed a little something. Aha! A friend visited recently and gave us a roll of fancy dark chocolate 'discs'. None of us is partial to dark chocolate so I opened all of them and obtained finally, a rich, dark, lovely viscous concoction which went down a treat with all my visitors. I bet no-one in this country, or yours, or nay, even in this universe has ever made chocolate sauce this way. It's probably a good thing too that I am the only person in the world with these fingerprints and with such a pressing need to confess my sins. I waited a day or two but no-one reported any ill effects. The proof is in the pudding.

5 comments:

  1. I must agree, you do hold the record for unusual chocolate sauce techniques and confessing sins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds delicious, as unconventional as it may have been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Necessity being the mother of invention and all that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to make Banana pudding, yum. Just so happens, I have 2 ripe bananas right now. So even though its 11pm here and I'm flying out early tomorrow to Phoenix, Arizona to do an Ironman triathlon next Sunday, I'm going to make some pudding.

    ReplyDelete