Saturday, 26 September 2015

When HIs IQ is Off the Charts

 
google image

We've just said good bye to visitors from Australia, a friend of my hubby's from way back and his 34-year old son.  They are on a mission to South Africa to follow up the wife's family tree - and already have an impressive record of her Dutch ancestors going back to 1200 AD.  It's been a challenging two days for me, when I discovered how weird it is to try to have a conversation with a young man who is a super brain, not only in science and Math, (the son heads up a Eurasian IT team - just back from a business trip to Vietnam), he also seems to have total recall and polished off the last four clues of my cryptic crossword in a matter of minutes. (I've been working on them for days). He has also built himself a telescope in his spare time, grinding the lens himself and has a camera with which to photograph the night sky. In between, he is an amateur radio enthusiast and lugged his equipment all the way here to take it to the top of Table Mountain to try to contact someone elsewhere on the planet. Apart from that, he seems to be knowledgable in every field imaginable and therefore has to try hard not to dominate conversations. On the plus side, he is a quiet, polite and I think modest person, who does not talk down to one.  He reminds me of that super charismatic and charming Professor Bryan Cox who makes these marvellous TV programmes for the BBC. On the down side, I can't think of any time in the last two days that he asked either myself or my husband a single question regarding our lives, our country or our family.  He admitted that he is wrapped up in his own world and struggles to switch off his brain: he has found one method though - he hums the tune from The Great Escape to get himself to sleep. I asked him if going to a Co-Ed High School had helped him to get on with girls and received an emphatic "No". I am not surprised  - I remember him as very skinny and nerdy at that age, although I don't think it bothered him.  Now, he has the legs of a hiker and has filled out a bit. In fact, a nice-looking thirty-something now, married with two girls. I am just sorry that I couldn't have introduced him to my brother and his boys.  They would have had so much in common.

8 comments:

  1. I remember a comment our family doctor made about our son. "You want them to be smart but not too smart."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So which was he? A chip off the old block?

      Delete
    2. He is smarter than I am. My son is some what above average intelligence, what one would call bright, my guess around 120, although he doesn't have the technical smarts that I have, but that is a matter of interest rather than intelligence.

      What my son does have is a very high EQ, emotional quotient. He is extremely good at working with people, understanding them, motivating them, listening to them, and finding solutions to work place problems and working with children with autism. In those areas, I personally am abysmal.

      I also suspect that he is a very Old Soul.

      When my son was a child, before he went to school, he was like Yoda. He seemed to possess the wisdom of the ages. Here is this 4 year old kid and he is analyzing and providing accurate assessments of adult behavior and providing sound moral judgements. Then he went to school and learned to be a typical kid. But I see Yoda coming back.

      Again I think you over rate my intellect, I am right at the top of the bell curve if not a bit to the left. I have a thin veneer of BS that makes me look smarter than I am. Again it is interest not smarts. I sincerely doubt that your young friend would have any questions for me either.

      Delete
  2. Sounds quite intimidating, but also interesting to meet for brief periods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect the survival of our planet depends on these super brains

      Delete
  3. Im glad this guy is smart. I dislike hearing people go on and on about their GIFTED kid that is clearly only as smart as mine. And mine were normal kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So relieved mine are normal too. Sometimes I even think I can teach them something!

      Delete
  4. Thank you all. I must say I did really like the young man

    ReplyDelete