Monday, 14 September 2015

We Created a Whatsapp 'Group' - Big mistake.


Shame, this one made from left-overs
We thought we would be clever when we go on our next trip to the Karoo. Our normal cell phone provider has no reception there so we will buy a SIM card for another company and then notify all our family members of our new number in one quick message so that we can be in contact while we are away.  It will by my sister-in-law's 70th and as all the siblings are scattered around the country, we thought it would be a good idea to have a get-together while most of us can still see to drive. My husband duly created the list. A few days previously I had used his i-phone to take this picture of a little waistcoat I had crocheted with some wool given to me by a niece. I couldn't find her on 'Whatsapp' so I sent the picture instead to my sister-in-law to forward on to said niece.  Unbeknown to me, G, my sister-in-law, was in possession of a new phone and in the process of trying to find her way around it. When she received my photo (and being a Whatsapp Virgin), she thought she would test her skills and forwarded it to what she thought was my phone. Instead it went to our newly created 'Family Group'. To my great embarrassment, my husband began to receive comments on his Chat e.g. "Very pretty", "Thank you for sharing", etc. The worst things were: my daughter-in-law added a photo of her daughter, dressed in the one I had made for her (this of course, also went to everyone) - the point being that the photo I sent was of one I had secretly made for my other granddaughter for her birthday next year!  The other thing that worried me greatly is that one female in our family is an extremely accomplished craftswoman and a great perfectionist - my humble effort with its several design flaws has now been exposed to her discerning eye! (Oh, the humiliation). Still, none of this is as bad as what happened to one friend of mine ~ (and of my age). She had sent an amorous SMS to the new love in her life, but pressed the wrong button and the message went to her daughter, who no doubt rolled her eyes and said "Eeuww, mom!"

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry what anyone else thinks of your pretty sweater, every stitch was made with love and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least they will understand it took a long time to sew in all those ends.

      Delete
  2. Fiftyodd, you are made of tougher stuff. To quote Richard Feynman's first wife Arlene, "What do you care what other people think?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me to look up this famous scientist but yes, I should be made of sterner stuff, it's just that buried inside deep down..........no matter how hard we try.

      Delete