Sunday, 13 September 2015

Diaper Cake

 
Must have been a grateful mom

At first glance, you could be forgiven for thinking you are admiring a very pretty wedding cake.  Look again (sorry pic is a bit blurry courtesy of my rather cheap mobile phone's camera).  It is in fact, a 'disposable diaper tower',  put together by my daughter as a gift for a mom who has recently had a baby from the other moms at the nursery school.  That looks like a fortune in disposables. I am still uncomfortable after all these years about the wisdom of using disposable diapers regarding pollution of the planet.  When my own children were babies we only had terry-towelling squares which in any case had to be soaked and washed every day. Maybe it is six of one and half a dozen of the other?  At least the artificial diapers have the benefit of being as light as a feather. On the other hand, the towelling ones eventually found their way to my husband's garage. Forty years later he still has a few left.

5 comments:

  1. I used cloth diapers for my daughter (she's 33) primarily because where I lived I had to haul my own garbage to the dump. It wasn't unusual to see bears there so I tended to go as infrequently as possible and especially with a small baby.

    When my son was born six years later, I used cloth at home but when I went back to work I switched to disposables at the request of the babysitter. Apparently she didn't want to dump and rinse diapers. I remember my shock at the price of them...and it's only gotten worse.

    It does make for a very pretty cake! Great idea for a baby shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used cloth for my kids because the disposable were expensive for me but now-a-days the disposable diapers can go half a day and their bottom stays dry. Maybe not so expensive in the long run but I'd still use cloth. I just don't like the idea of a kid in wet diapers all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we are all just showing our age - and our children think we know nothing about child-rearing, just 'old-fashioned' ideas.

      Delete
  3. Great idea for a baby gift. As to cloth verses disposables, I see merits in both but yes for the planet, cloth would be better.

    ReplyDelete