Wednesday, 5 August 2015

Two Lovely Black Eyes

 
Google image

I am pretty sure there is an old song with this title, however I am to tell you about two really nice shiners, one sported by myself and one by the young waiter where my husband (66 today!) and I had lunch.  I got mine on the way home from our holiday: we stopped to get gas and my husband went ahead into the diner. I spied him across the room and as usual kept my eyes fixed on him as I walked and so completely missed the "Mind the Step" sign and went sprawling scattering my possessions, and gathering bumps on my knee and hip and something hit me in the face.  By the next day my eye was a nice black circle and it took a whole ten days to get through the green and yellow stages. Didn't hurt though. Today, this youngster displayed a very colorful rainbow around his left eye. I had to laugh: somewhat embarrassed, he told us he had been hurriedly putting on his T-shirt to go to work and didn't notice that the hanger was still in it.

5 comments:

  1. That is so sweet that you are still blinded by love for your husband. Not so much fun to have a black eye though. Did people give you that "why does she stay with a man who would do that to her?" look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did. Interestingly, people don't want to believe any other explanation.

      Delete
    2. More worrying is my devotion to my husband, firstly, because I still have an irrational fear that he might leave me one day (for any number of reasons), and secondly, if he does, I have planned to get myself a really nice dog.

      Delete
  2. Is it not amazing when you pull off a spectacular fall like that how the neutral observer that sits on your shoulder taking in your entire life and providing fair and balanced commentary manages to totally shred right before your eyes any dignity about yourself that you have managed to retain? I generally have managed to call myself every four lettered description in the world before I have even done a damage assessment.

    A ten day shiner is icing on the cake!

    Thank goodness you were not seriously hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say that in this establishment the staff were so listless and unconcerned, no-one took the least bit of notice, much less rushed to my assistance. Ditto my husband: by the time he realised what had happened I was back on my feet.

      Delete