Monday, 31 August 2015

That Elusive Pelvic Floor

Pelvic floor images were too gross

When I used to drive more than I do now, I tried to perform a few pelvic floor exercises whenever I was stopped at a red robot.  I don't any more. For one thing, the agonised screwing up of my face while I was trying to isolate this muscle,  used to concern motorists and I picked up some very odd looks. Since I hardly drive any more (I would rather knit/crochet on our long road trips), I have forgotten all about this very essential muscle.  Until my sister-in-law started having incontinence problems. I suddenly remembered how very inconvenient this can be, when your urethra straightens out, no longer having a useful S-bend as happens so often with age and/or child birth. I did have mine fixed many years ago, but I got bronchitis a week later and coughing undid the good work.  So now, as a passenger in our car, I am trying again to improve matters as I am well aware that when the children ask me to jump on the trampoline, unless I have emptied my bladder within the last five minutes, I am asking for trouble. Maybe I shouldn't expect to jump on the trampoline at my age, but then again, why not?  Hopefully, it will just take a little regular effort which will pay dividends in the long run.

2 comments:

  1. Why not indeed! Have all the fun you can and the grand kids will think you are cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you referring to Kegels?

    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/womens-health/in-depth/kegel-exercises/art-20045283

    They are a wonderful exercise, although do note the mention of it being less helpful for severe leakage and not doing the exercise while urinating. I have read that Kegels will also help with uterine prolapse.

    For the guys Kegels can help with those equipment failures noted a few posts back.

    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/mens-health/in-depth/kegel-exercises-for-men/art-20045074

    http://www.healthline.com/health/erectile-dysfunction/exercises#Overview1

    I have an odd way of doing Kegels, when I read some mention of them I will do them for about a week and then forget to keep doing them. Probably not how it should be done.

    ReplyDelete