Monday, 10 August 2015

Never Ass-u-me ( Got me again)

 
Google image

As my husband's blood pressure remains a little high, our doctor decided to up the dose of his Bilocor to 7.5 mg.  He duly scribbled the prescription and I went off to get it filled. At the first two pharmacists I went to (with whom our Medical has a special deal), each young man frowned at the paper, then checked his computer, then told me they have never had stock of such a dose.  One even showed me his screen - no orders in the last 12 months.  Puzzled, I went back to our usual pharmacy and tried again. No problem: the lady showed me that on the prescription the doctor had crossed out '30' pills and substituted '45', meaning that the usual dose of 5 mg should simply be supplied with half as many again so that the patient then takes 1 1/2 pills at a time instead of one. 

This did not seem to me to be rocket science.  Next time I shall read the script myself - in case I have to explain something to those whose minds seem to run on one track.

6 comments:

  1. My husband has high cholesterol and blood pressure is a bit high so his doc said get this new, improved pill, 2 meds mixed together. We go to pharmacy and find out its nearly $1000 per month, which we didn't have fund for. But pharmacist tells us, its Niacin, which we now purchase OTC for $10, and a statin, which ends up being $5 after insurance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh - a very sobering story which I shall bear in mind in future.

      Delete
  2. Ah the pharmaceutical industrial complex! I must confess that I like Denise's story as well as yours.

    Does South Africa have a corp of drug reps that come in and take up all the seats in the waiting room, consume untold hours of the doctors time, and convince your doctor to substitute their drug instead of the one you have been using for years and ends up not being covered by your insurance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to all of the above but I shall keep a sharp eye on costs in future.

      Delete
  3. It is scary to me that the first two pharmacies you went to are the ones the insurance chose for special deals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am going to report back to the Medical insurance although I doubt whether the person who answers the phone will care.

      Delete