Sunday, 14 June 2015

"How many times have you rolled a vehicle?"



There are surely few 70-year-old women who could be heard casually asking this question of their female friends.  I recall that my sister-in-law has rolled cars 3 times that I know of.  This is not because she is wild, a little scatter-brained perhaps, garrulous yes,  and certainly at times lacking in concentration.  She, now 75, and she and her 77 year-old husband have just flown down to Cape Town to pick up my car (we decided we don't need two any more). They have spent a few days with us and now plan to drive the 800 miles back to East London tomorrow and Tuesday.  They will drive for about 5 hours each day, stopping over at friends about half-way.  The purpose of this post is to ask you all to please send up a prayer for their safe journey.  I would do the same, except that I haven't as yet decided whether there is really a loving God.  I do however, think that this pair have guardian angels.  Once, my sister-in-law lost her deceased mother's wedding ring, while gardening; eventually after hours of searching she stood in the middle of her lawn, sent up a prayer, looked down and there the ring was, shining in the grass.  Recently, their old car gave problems and on the way to visit them in a remote area, we were phoned and asked to pick up the necessary part at one of the big towns on our route.  We obtained the part but the dealer didn't have the small split pin required.  There was no other parts shop in the vicinity, so hubby said he could make a plan with a piece of wire.  However, on the way back to our car, I happened to look down and there on the paving in front of me was a brand new split pin, exactly the right size.  My other worry is that my brother-in-law may fall asleep at the wheel on such a long trip.  He's done it before.  As I said, if you can just send them positive thoughts for the next few days. I'll notify their safe arrival. Their names are Roline and Christopher. My best comfort is that my/their Mercedes AClass A170 will look after them if they do have an accident: it has a very strong body and safety record.

6 comments:

  1. Wow. positive thoughts sent their way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am trying to think of something pithy to reply to your statement:

    "I would do the same, except that I haven't as yet decided whether there is really a loving God."

    If they have guardian angels, why should we mere mortals send out prayers to a God that may not exist, and if so it could be questioned whether She-He-It is loving.

    But OK, you want to use the proxy method. So I just sent out my prayer, but I was reminded of the fact that I have quite intentionally thumbed my nose at God for not repenting over lusting over the sight of a bare thigh when I was a lad. It was during communion. With all the kneeling, sitting, kneeling sitting and praying with our eyes closed, the young lady sitting at the end of pew's dress caught on the edge of the pew and bunched up behind her butt. This resulted in the hem of her proper 2 inch below the knee dress being drawn back in an upside down hypotenuse of a triangle. This hypotenuse extended from the top of her knee to a bit past the center line of the bottom of her butt cheek. I didn't get to see anything that you couldn't have seen at the beach, but you see it was the venue of this vision and the supporting attire. At the lower apex of this hypotenuse were black lacy panties, then there was a section of peaches and cream thigh, then there was that very dark border of the top of her stocking and then the black stocking itself, which went out to a rather magnificent knee and then descended into a divine calf and ended up in a modest high heel which I find to be very sexy. I was 15. You can imagine the testosterone levels that coursed through my blood stream at this age. So here I am repenting for this wide variety of sins that I had committed, but actually take out impure thoughts I maintained for the various and many young women (water water everywhere but not a drop to drink), there really wasn't a hell of lot to repent for, but those impure thoughts that I maintained were going to send me to hell. So in the midst of prayer, while I am repenting for my impure thoughts, that I promise that I will never have again, I could not resist checking out the lovely specimen sitting at end of the pe...HOLY SHIT...LOOK AT THAT! I was immediately swept away, her and I, my fingers slipping under that dark border of her stocking top, slowly traveling the circumference of that heavenly thigh until they reached the inner center line and then they started exploring back along that center line heading for Nirva,,,ALL ARISE, come forward to partake the body and blood of our Savior.... Except I didn't arise and come forward.

    I used to think that this was my downfall from Christianity, but another frequent visitor to your blog convinced me that perhaps this was the Miracle of the Thigh.

    So I will leave it up to you. With my history, and the fact that I refuse to seek forgiveness for my impure thoughts (note I did not act on them), do you want a wretch like I praying for your in-laws? Perhaps best to just rely on the guardian angels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't think your impure thoughts were very sinful. In fact, I think they were/are very normal, not sinful at all and you should not worry about what God (should he/she/it exist) might think. I can't believe you have been beating yourself up your whole adult life over things like this and your pseudo prayer was most welcome especially considering my relatives' safe arrival. In fact, I am convinced your honest empathy definitely helped.

      Delete
    2. "Beating myself up" is putting it rather strongly. I found the one way ticket to hell rather liberating. That bare thigh was my license to pursue He/She/It on my own terms and with a theology that made sense to me.

      I am glad that your relative arrived OK, but I doubt that my prayers had much efficacy. I am sure it was the guardian angels.

      Delete
  3. Sending positive thoughts that the in-laws and the car make it to you safely....without the need for a guardian angel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. They arrived safely two days later with nothing worse than a small speeding fine.

      Delete