Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Cranking Back the Clock

With B at her school

Apologies for my long absence - we have been on baby-sitting duty for the last week at my daughter's house while she and her husband are swanning about on Greek islands. I would not normally have condoned such an absence from their small children (boy aged 7 and girl 4), but her husband spends much time away from home, working hard for 4 days a week and they really deserved this time together. They are away for two weeks. I do think my daughter suffered quite a guilt trip before they left.  The children are both at school and we have been left with a detailed schedule of their daily comings and goings/play dates etc.  This was both printed out and there is a copy pinned to the wall: we also receive an automated reminder in the form of a Whatsapp message every morning and there are various notes pinned to the oven/cupboards/TV equipment/remote controls/menus etc as to how things work. I did take us nearly four days to work out how the lights work but no matter. They have a maid who comes in every day: she also has a detailed list regarding packed lunches/school uniform/sports equipment and she does the washing and cleaning.  A piece of cake I hear you say? Have you forgotten just how incessantly active tinies are?  And no, they are not ADHD.  When C does his homework with me he concentrates extremely well: ditto at night when he expects to be read at least 10 Chapters of a Captain Underpants story. (Jolly good they are too!) I-pads are forbidden except in the car during the hectic morning traffic on the way to school.  This is a bit of a relief to tell you the truth, from B's non-stop chatter. It's quite challenging dredging up long-forgotten parenting skills cf the following:
 B suddenly announces in the car in the middle of a game,
"This is not my I-pad, it's Fred's".
Granny to B:     "Where is your I-pad? Does Fred have it?"   B to Granny:  "Don't know"
Granny to C:     "Who is Fred's mommy?"
G to Granny:     "Auntie Cassandra".       (Fortunately, light dawns for Granny. I remember seeing that name and phone number on the Emergency Contacts List.)
A more difficult problem has been B forcibly entering our bed at night, any time from about 11.00pm.  She is a fidgety sleeper so the king-size bed has proved too small for 3 of us resulting in granny spending one night on the couch.  This had a side benefit however, as I was awoken one morning by C creeping in at 4.30 am. to watch cartoons on TV. I solved the other problem though: I was inspired to discover that a favourite teddy suffered from night frights and a sore tummy in the middle of the night. I stressed that he needed to sleep right next to B with her arm around him so she could comfort him whenever he woke up. Worked like a dream. There is a huge calendar on the wall with each of the 14 sleeps carefully marked as a countdown. It's the first thing C does every morning when he opens his eyes - crosses one off.  Only six sleeps to go......wish us luck! So far so good. (Sextant, please read my reply to you re previous post.)

9 comments:

  1. Two weeks of grandparenting duties...you are a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping for a nice appreciation gift when they get back.

      Delete
  2. Captain Underpants, I am intrigued. Jolly good no less! Sounds like you had an interesting and charming two weeks with the rug rats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to find a children's writer with such imagination, just out to have fun, stimulate, and not push boring moral or politically correct points. Of course, I take my hat off to the marvellous illustrator as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes well, it is now at the end of the SECOND week and we are definitely looking forward to giving them back tomorrow, We are TIRED.

      Delete
    2. I just checked Amazon and they have Captain Underpants available in the US. With such titles as Captain Underpants and the Big, Bad Battle of the Bionic Booger Boy Part 1: The Night of the Nasty Nostril Nuggets, or Captain Underpants and the Sensational Saga of Sir Stinks-A-Lot (Captain Underpants #12) who could resist. But wait I think I found one for me:

      Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space. I like tales of naughty ladies. Wait these ones have tentacles, hmmm.

      I missed that last sentence about 6 more sleeps. Have a good tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. You're missing in action! I have missed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness....three weeks away. Lots to catch up on but first....washing and bills... Anyway, home safely after 3500 kilometres.

      Delete