Thursday, 28 May 2015

Nut a Very Good Bargain

 
How to crack a macadamia nut - with much patience

We both have a passion for nuts but they are so darned expensive. I was therefore thrilled to pick up a bargain - a bagful of macadamias in their shells,  but oh so cheap.  I now see why.  We have tried everything to crack open these little charmers but their perfectly round, very hard outside with no discernible seam means that we have tried everything from normal nutcrackers (useless) to hammers (a little better) to Youtube - some guy can always make things look easy - to finally a sturdy-looking vice-grip (googled), which, if you are very crafty, you can slowly ease closed over the nut and screw it before it gets a chance to catapault away across the room.  Still it has taken us a good while to extract two perfect little white nuts. We spend about twenty minutes in this frustrating exercise with the result that neither of us can be bothered to extract more than one each.The main benefit is that our net nut consumption is much reduced, which is a help regarding both our weight loss plan and our monthly budget.

4 comments:

  1. You must really love macadamia nuts.

    It does seem that the price of nuts has gone up pretty drastically. I am concerned about almonds because a) I really like them and b) they are sucking up all of California's precious and limited water supply. I have switched to coconut milk so I expect something will soon affect that crop in a negative way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have started to cook with coconut oil - stuff tastes good. Almonds are also very costly here.

      Delete
  2. I have generally found that I dislike any food that requires tools or dissection. Years ago, I had the joy of going to a crab house in Maryland with a bunch of engineers from work. I finished my hamburger and cup of coffee in 20 minutes and had to wait almost 3 hours while these guys polished seemingly thousands of crabs. The fact that their dissection skills deteriorated with each beer didn't help either.

    My hat off to you on even trying to shell a macadamia. It has been years since I have tackled any shelled nut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have crayfish here but very expensive. In the days when we managed to catch a few ourselves I had to watch my cousin's husband valiantly try to eat one with a knife and fork. He hates getting food on his hands. I take it your buddies were not eating those enormous crabs - look about a yard all round in size on TV

      Delete