Thursday, 5 March 2015

A Heath Robinson Affair


 As usual when I am required to help my husband with something he forgets that I am not very tall. This time when asked to hold up the long aluminium window frame of my new wash room so that it wouldn't sag in the middle while he went down to the garage, my arm began to tire and I was just able to grab the small steps, a tool box and a broom and set up a substitute before my arm collapsed. I remembered something my mother used to talk about and I thought it would be appropriate to my calamitous situation.  Something about a Heath Robinson effort with reference to things that my dad was inclined to do. Needless to say, I had to Google and consult Wikipaedia to find the precise reference.  I see that it very much describes the sorts of things my brother loves doing as well. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
 
Heath Robinson" is used to refer to an improbable, rickety machine barely kept going by incessant tinkering. (The corresponding term in the U.S. is Rube Goldberg, after an American cartoonist with an equal devotion to odd machinery.  (Wikipaedia)

2 comments:

  1. Never heard of Heath Robinson, but Rube Goldberg is a hero of sorts in the engineering world.

    Well done Fiftyodd. Exemplary skill under pressure.

    ReplyDelete