Sunday, 18 January 2015

What's your Worst Character Trait?

Selfie at my computer.

I think mine is Avoidance of the Possibly Unpleasant. This applies to countless things in my life e.g. not upsetting my best friend or any of my relatives or my in-laws. These people are inclined to be permanent fixtures  so it's easier not to fight with anybody.  Actually, it doesn't apply to my husband.  It's quite good fun to fight with him sometimes. Besides, we can't remember to stay cross for long although there is an ongoing competition as to who will admit they are wrong first. We never hold a grudge until the next day. Also bills: any that arrive that I fear may be large - I leave for a week until the heat has gone out of them or the due date is right now. My current biggest problem is being new to owning property and trying to rent it out. I do use nice agents but I still avoid answering the phone or e-mails from them as I immediately imagine there is some huge expensive problem to solve. We really want to be kind and considerate landlords, fulfilling our responsibilities but both flats cost such a lot to set up and one has an ongoing leak problem from the flat upstairs. I tell myself I won't do this once we have a few months rent in so that repairs won't drain our insecure budget. The other thing related to that is that I realise we have to advertise properly on a reputable website for at least the holiday rental and for similar reasons I haven't put my mind to that as there is quite a fee upfront. However, now that my husband has retired and is sorting out our affairs he has put his foot down and said we can afford this amount and I must do it today. Well, tomorrow - I promise. Today is after all Sunday and I have my crossword to do. I feel better now that I have asked him to consult the website and read the 'Terms and conditions' in case I have missed something. Anyway, now that I have told my blog friends I will do this: it shall be done. A promise is a promise - especially when it's written down.  (NB - Can't find a google image not copyrighted - stacks of advice about how to face one's fears though.  Glad I'm not the only one.)

8 comments:

  1. I could hide behind a crossword puzzle in need of doing any day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those procrastinators as well. You get a bill, you know its horrid and you let it stew for a week then rush like hell to pay it before the due date. We punish the person who is us in the future because we lack the back bone to face the problems that the person who was us in our past caused.

    There is a feint positive reason to procrastinate, if the world should end between now and the due date, at least you will get the satisfaction of knowing that you got out of paying the bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would understand and find a good reason for procrastinating.

      Delete
    2. Actually I have found procrastinating to be effective about 50% of the time. I have had neighbors go out and shovel snow in the morning like good dutifully citizens keeping the world in good order. I, being lazy, waited and it melted!

      Delete
    3. Showing superior brain power and forethought.

      Delete
  3. I've learned that in certain things I can procrastinate, in others I can't. I wait to pay bills but if my training plan says I have to go run 5 miles after an hour swim then I get right on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be in great shape. Must jack up my walk to twenty minutes instead of five. Baby steps.

      Delete