Tuesday, 13 January 2015

He likes Potatoes, I like Pataaatoes....


Hmmm. This retirement thing may take some getting used to.  It's all very well opposites attracting and getting on well for 37 years, but 24/7 is something else. Take almost anything:  TV programmes - we don't like the same stuff. Food: for a start, he loves meat and all proteins, I prefer vegetables. He gets hungry three times a day, me only twice. I am already challenged by the question "What's for lunch?"  Perhaps I could pack him a lunch in a plastic box as I used to when he was working and ask him to take it down to the garage so that I can sit at my computer with a yoghourt as usual. There's going to have to be some negotiating.  Take breakfast:  he's been very good at cooking up an omelette when he worked; as this took place at 5.30 am. I was allowed to stay in bed (spoilt I know).  Then I would clear up and wipe down after he left. He is still willing to do this but I feel there should now be Fair Division of Labour re the cleaning up as he likes luxuriating in bed at the moment, only rising at 8.00 which puts me behind with my chores.  I like getting going much earlier. Take Going for a Walk: both of us have faithfully promised this was something we would do together daily for the sake of our health, once retired.  I would like to go before breakfast while it's still cool, he prefers late afternoon.  NB We haven't gone once yet but that's because there is so much still to do settling into this house now that the crowds have gone. To be fair a lot of the settling in involves much hammering and banging, drilling holes through walls for more user-friendly electrical connections. Also there is a lot of heavy digging to be done outside. But to take stock: we have many vital things in common - values and morals, integrity, manners (we both hold our knives and forks like the Queen). I could go on.  I understand that this is a period of adjustment and give and take. Still, I went to put a prune in my mouth this morning and it was unpleasantly warm. He had put the whole bowl in the microwave. I like my prunes cold. Couldn't eat it.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry, but this made me laugh to tears. Just enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Survival is definitely seeing the funny side.

      Delete
  2. My wife expressed some concern before I retired that she was a little worried that I would come in and become emperor of the roost. I decided then and there my place was to stay out of the way. Remain something of a guest--which I being lazy works out rather well. Fortunately she likes to eat a lot and I could care less, so she makes the meals and if I don't want to eat so be it...but you do get into routines. Our division of labor for meals is that she cooks (which she doesn't like) and I do the dishes. She would rather it be the other way but my cooking skills are abysmal. Canned soup and hotdogs doesn't fly far. I can't stomach a breakfast, so she eats three times a day and and I eat twice (providing you don't count my snack before bed--I know, I know--don't eat before bed...great except I like to sleep when I go to bed and that is not going to happen on a empty stomach).

    I am with you for the proper time to walk. Gads warm prunes! It would strike me as putting a freshly castrated testicle in your mouth.

    I might be concerned for your post retirement marital bliss, but I know all will be OK, handling your silverware like the Queen is a firm foundation for any marriage.

    It will all work out. He can be trained. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OHmigod - a 'freshly castrated testicle' - I must have had that very image at the back of my mind - at least, I will now. You have an amazing imagination, Sextant. Have you ever thought of running your own Advice Column? You would have a huge following. I however disapprove of your declared inability to cook. That's just being clever. I don't like cooking either but have always felt it was a wife's duty. How 1950s is that??

      Delete
    2. Well there could be an element of studied stupidity in that inability. But hey, I do all the dishes.

      Delete
  3. Go for your walk when you want to go, if he wants to join you then he will get out of bed and go. Think of it as your alone time and soon you will enjoy it. Plus, being alone you can go at your own pace, you can go where you want and you can take as long or short of a walk as you want. Try it tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Burn that bra and tell him to make his own lunch. :) I'm kidding, of course.

    Someone who's been divorced twice (finally happy with his 3rd wife) reminded me that certain annoyances are so minor in comparison with things like abuse, infidelity...
    HOWEVER, I hope that, as Sextant said, he can be trained. :) My empty nest will be in 4 years and my husband can retire also in that time, but I think he plans to work until he's 70. By that time, all the crumb-snatchers should be finished with college and employed. I'm CERTAIN that he'll have to be trained. :) Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know how the training is getting along. I am sure it will involve a great amount of tact, a gentle voice & lots of smiles (to hide irritation). I am of course, perfect myself.

      Delete