Saturday, 10 January 2015

Bee Sting Therapy

Mine are just like this (Google)

I've long wished I could do something about the arthritis in my fingers - the index finger of my right hand is even pointing 20 degrees to the right.  Luckily, none of the joints hurts unless I receive a really firm handshake but they are unsightly and I've had to cut my two pretty rings off my fingers because they will no longer go over the joint. My sister-in-law keeps bees and swears by bee stings to make these lumps go away.  She first saw same on a TV program and actually my husband let her bees sting his knuckle which had swollen and was hurting.  The treatment worked amazingly well and the knuckle has returned to normal. However,  his whole arm did swell up alarmingly right up to the armpit for a week. I'd like to try this but am a little scared of an allergic reaction. I am already inclined to asthma.  My sister-in-law says you just have to relax and stay calm - it is the adrenalin generated by fear which causes the problem.  I am in two minds about it: still it will be May before we go up the coast to visit them.  Meanwhile, I mentioned my ugly, lumpy fingers to my six-year old great-niece while she was painstakingly giving me a manicure. "We've all got lumps", she said, "look at mine" and she made a fist and drew my attention to her perfectly formed tiny knuckles.  Apparently, she sees no difference between hers and mine. Nice to be only six. Oh my goodness - having found a photo on Google and seen how much worse my hands could look, I wonder why I'm complaining.

2 comments:

  1. If you are going to fool around with bee venom, I would do so under the supervision of a qualified physician. Severe allergic reactions result in 40 to 100 deaths in the US per year, but what I was not able to find was how many people are saved by medical intervention. Supposedly 3.3% of the population have severe allergies to bee venom. You don't want to be in an isolated rural area and start investigating what bee venom can do for your fingers.

    I would recommend your husband not try that again except under medical supervision. If he showed signs of a reaction, he is playing with fire.

    There was some talk about a decade ago about bee venom being useful in the treatment of MS. Here is what WEB MD has to say:

    Likely Effective for:

    Reducing the severity of allergic reactions to bee stings. A series of bee venom shots under the skin (bee venom immunotherapy) seems to be effective for reducing reactions to bee stings in people with severe allergy to bee stings. Bee venom immunotherapy provides 98% to 99% protection from reactions to bee stings. Once immunotherapy is stopped, the risk of reaction over the next 5 to 10 years is about 5% to 15%. Purified bee venom for under-the-skin injection is an FDA approved product.

    Possibly Ineffective for:

    Arthritis. People used to think that bee venom might be a useful treatment for arthritis. This theory was largely due to supposed swelling-reducing (anti-inflammatory) effects of bee venom and the observation that many beekeepers don't develop arthritis. However, research results have not supported this.

    Multiple sclerosis (MS). Administering live bee stings in gradually increasing doses up to 20 stings given three times weekly does not seem to improve multiples sclerosis. Treatment for 24 weeks does not seem to improve fatigue, disability, or quality of life.

    Glad I wasn't in that trial group. Experiencing 60 stings a week for 24 weeks and no improvement? Probably would put one in a venomous mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it. Perhaps I'll reconsider. Thank you for doing the research for me. As usual - an excellent last word from yourself.

      Delete