Wednesday, 17 December 2014

The 4-Hour Work Week

If only

This transferring of my phone line has left me without Internet for 10 days...
Anyway, back to the subject of Small Son.  He is thoroughly enjoying his unofficial apprenticeship as a Project Manager for his brother-in-law's proposed building concern.  In January, he is supposed to have learnt enough to go it alone. That would be after six months practical experience.  As I understand it, this means my son-in-law plans to put money into developing new homes and Small Son is to manage the projects.  This wouldn't worry me so much, if small son hadn't taken the above book out of the library recently.  The other featured text on the front cover says, "Escape the 9-5, live anywhere and join the new rich."  Hmmm.  There is a picture of a guy in a hammock under palm trees also on the front cover. But I am tired of worrying about small son: it's worrying enough how we are to survive ourselves. Life is entirely hectic at the moment. We are still packing cases every week-end and rushing to and fro. At least the cupboards are finished. We are looking forward to a family function on 2nd January.  My sister-in-law will have been married for 50 years and there is to be a big celebration. She got married at 19, moved to a farm and has lived there ever since. My husband can't wait - he was quite a little boy at her wedding. - it will be his first trip ever without having to apply for leave and without having to rush back to work. He is going to find it very strange.

5 comments:

  1. Damn! If I had only read that book back in my youth, I could be a bazzionaire now and had spent less than 10000 hours working to get there. Let's hope that the book is not read by the personal assistants that you must hire to work the other 36 to 76 hours a week for you. When I first looked at the book my heart leapt for joy it is written my Timothy Ferriss the well respected science writer....oh wait that guy is Timothy Ferris.

    In any event the best of luck to small son in his endeavors. If he can manage construction projects from a hammock, who are we to criticize? I wonder do you work for 4 hours in one day, or dribble it out in five 48 minute segments per week, or 6 minutes per hour for each 8 hour working day?

    I hope you and your husband enjoy the get together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiftyodd, I have no other medium to contact you, so may you and your family have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the same to you, Sextant. We had a lovely day yesterday. Hope you did too.

      Delete
  3. So glad you stopped over at AG! I think you need not worry about Small Son and his ambitions, or perhaps what you may see as a lack thereof. The world will educate him soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI June - and a Happy Christmas and a Great New Year to you and yours.

      Delete