Thursday, 4 December 2014
Finally went for the keyhole surgery on my knee, mindful that next year we have to downsize our Medical Aid as the company will no longer be paying half. I was determined not to have another allergic reaction either to the propellant in the antiseptic spray or the waterproof plaster or the latex in the plaster as per my last op., so I was guilty of repeating myself re said allergies to all and sundry all the way to the operating table (literally) as the anaesthetist saw fit not to give me a 'happy pill' before the big jab as I wouldn't be out for long. Just as well, since once in the theatre my bed refused to be jacked up so I had to get off and climb onto the table under my own steam (aren't they narrow!). I awoke to immediately examine the state of my knee and found it correctly bandaged only in old-fashioned cotton wool and stretchy crepe. Unfortunately, this was almost from thigh to ankle and quite tight (thrombosis precaution), so I was forced to limit my activities for the prescribed three days as I couldn't bend my leg. Whilst waiting to be 'put under' the theatre sister told me she had once had an allergic reaction to hair dye - her scalp swelled. The next time she used the same product (duh!), her face swelled up alarmingly as well. My daughter confided to me last week (some time after the fact, of course), that when she was trying on bras a couple of weeks ago, she noticed her one breast was visibly swelling, (she had a breast enlargement two years ago after having breast-fed two children for nine months each). Alarmed, she drove straight to her surgeon's office and he lanced the area. A large amount of fluid had accumulated around the one implant - her body had suddenly decided it didn't like this foreign body. The surgeon duly drained the area, saying that this was only the third case he had seen in twenty years. She had to be on 4-hourly antibiotics for two weeks. Apparently, it is unlikely to recur and she still has the implants. I can't help feeling we subject our poor bodies to too many chemicals in today's world.