Sunday, 30 November 2014

Productive Week-end

Downstairs room - christened 'The Library"

Once again, a week-end of work.  However, we now have a 'finished' product. I have yet to pack the shelves properly and hubby's copies of "Popular Mechanics" and "Handyman" are to be added to the bottom shelves . I've also just noticed that small grandson got hold of the balsa wood models of truck and rhino  (now not in their right places), so there are empty spaces where there shouldn't be .... however, you get the picture.  What is not obvious, are the faults.  It's all very well to say that erecting your own shelving is a walk in the park. What is not stated are the following:  the frustrations when the sections wouldn't fit because the ceiling/wall were not straight, the hardware store had not (a) cut the sections correctly or (b) bits were missing or incorrectly measured. The fact that you have to have quite a lot of wood-working tools to make the job feasible. You also need quite a large dose of common sense, not to mention, philosophical acceptance of your own mistakes (mis-measuring) or the hardware store's (mis-measuring/careless gluing). Still, I am happy with the result: two week-ends work.  Most of the paperbacks I have carted round the world with me since I was a student, circa 1969 - 1975, and I know that I will never read them again. No matter they are yellowed with age. They represent a part of my life that I am comforted by referring to. Now they form 'decor'.  My husband's reading history is not well represented:  when he worked for South AFrican Airways in the 1960s, his books (Wilbur Smith) were regularly confiscated at the airport on his return home.We are so looking forward to moving here permanently. Unfortunately, 'red tape' will have prevented us getting a swimming pool put in before Christmas. These things are sent to try us.  I suspect that a bribe would have expedited the passing of our plans for the pool, but we absolutely refuse to go that route.

10 comments:

  1. Great looking shelves and room. It is wonderful to have your old books about, it instills character. Mine are rotting away up in the attic and innumerable stacks around the house. I must confess a certain love for my Kindle in that regard...hundreds of books instantly available.

    You will probably get your pool completed when the seasons get too cool to use it. Standard no matter where one lives. Good luck with your endeavors...the shelves are beautiful despite the head aches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for the encouragement. Did you spy hubby's half-built boat (top left)? It has yet to be finished and get a full set of sails. This will present a new project. Glass case will have to be built to house it, second problem, where to put that? How do people ever move to smaller houses?

      Delete
    2. NB - Room is far from finished. Not supposed to have this old lounge suite, coffee table or hat stand (or other stuff lying around). Wall on the right is to be filled with as many of our pictures/family photos as we can squeeze onto it. I don't know how we fitted them into our old house. Will have to discourage the kids from giving us more of their children.

      Delete
    3. I did notice it and noted that it must still be under construction. I also noticed a teapot, a painting, many figurines including what appears to be a rather sensual white ceramic nude. It is a very visually appealing set of shelves.

      Delete
    4. Too kind. I'll post a pic of the finished thing. You have sharp eyes.

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have all that book shelf space. It must be satisfying to get a step close to the dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also hopiing will have a beneficial effect on children and grandchildren. To my horror none of my children read books as teenagers (and me an English teacher!) but they have started. Big son now reads huge science fiction tomes and daughter has (sadly) started with Fifty Shades...

      Delete
  3. Hey check out this post:

    http://fiftypushing.blogspot.com/2011/11/housewifes-horror-of-aprons-inter-alia.html

    It has 91 comments. You are being spammed. Scroll to the end of the list and start deleting them until you get to the valid comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sextant. How on earth did you discover this? Might be safer to let sleeping dogs lie.

      Delete
    2. I saw a link on the side of your blog with the S word in it. Naturally I had to click on it. Forgot that I was a contributor.

      I delete spam from mine all the time with no ill effects.

      Delete