Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Modern Marketing

About 1/10th of the length of the aisle

This photo represents one of my worst nightmares: my husband can spend half an hour in this aisle alone before he finds the screws/nuts/bolts/nails he needs that are the required specs.  One of the reasons is that each item is duplicated many times in many different sections of the aisle as all products now are lumped together according to their brand name. The same happens in clothing stores.  I tried to buy a cotton blouse the other day: the store was vast and I had to walk figurative miles around the whole store to locate all the cotton blouses on sale in my size under the various brand names.  Do they really think we will buy more?  I just got tired and gave up. God forbid they start to do the same in the food stores. 

4 comments:

  1. I noticed that the Goodwill stores put all clothing together by type, size an color. In a regular store, i am sure that manufacturers and brand names pay for space and don't want their white cotton shirts compared to the next guys. They want brand loyalty after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brand loyalty is not a factor for me. Quality and price and the major considerations.

      Delete
  2. The food stores in the US while not lumping things by brand certainly make you take a jaunt through the store. Milk an bread are always at the most distant corner of the store. With my bad back and thrashed knees I always grab a cart, even if I am going to buy just a quart of milk. Finding hardware in places like Lowes or Home Depot can be a 2 hour adventure. I remember the hardware stores of my youth. You asked the sales clerk for an item, they got it for you, and you were on your way in 2 minutes. Home Depot will list the aisle and bin for individual stores on the internet, so I generally try to find it on the web first before I go on a major journey through acres of hardware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Internet - good idea. Your Home Depot has quite an advanced service. Regretfully, I don't think our stores list every nut and bolt yet. I know all about bad knees - my greatest sympathy is with you.

      Delete