Sunday, 12 October 2014

Knees - Keyhole surgery?

Ah, so you don't have to be old

Since hearing about Sextant's bad knees,  I might as well confess that I am undecided about having my bad knee seen to.  After nine months of varying degrees of pain/discomfort after a searing sudden pain in January, I finally ended up at an orthopaedic surgeon who, correctly, I think, after rotating said knee round in circles and producing many clicks, diagnosed a tear in the 'lateral miniscus' cartilage. I was too busy to consider the half-an-hour operation at the time (visitors) so I postponed the idea, but the term 'cartilage' ignited a light-bulb moment and I dug out my box of 'Osteoeeze Gold' pills, which I used to take for arthritis in my fingers.  I had given them up for a while, because although my fingers display ugly lumps, they are not actually painful unless squeezed (I have to be careful of handshakes). Osteoeeze's main ingredients are Chondritin and Glocosamine. I went back to taking them religiously three times a day and abracadabra, after three months,  the pain in my knee disappeared!  The surgeon had said surgery was the only option as cartilage will not repair itself, it has minimal blood supply.  Hmmm. The chief component of Chondritin is cartilage extracted from shellfish, I understand, so why should it not reconstitute cartilage? It certainly feels like it.  Of course, you can't take these pills if you are allergic to cartilage. Lately, I do have a few twinges in the said knee at night, because in the day I have done quite a bit of walking uphill to our new apartment (as small son has commandeered my car for a week now...) so maybe I am wrong? Need the op after all?  But some people say once they have messed with your knees, they are never the same again.

5 comments:

  1. I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV, but it sounds to me that you have not suffered nearly enough pain to have surgery yet. Or, maybe that is why people find it so distressing--they wait too long to have their knee pain tended to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm .. does it depend on one's pain threshold or on what your medical insurance will pay for? Thing is - next year we won't have the same comprehensive cover when we are retired

      Delete
  2. I have been taking Chondrotin / Glucosamine for years. Works wonders on my shoulders, absolutely miraculous. Knees? No dice. Or maybe it does work for them and I would really be miserable with it?

    When it comes to doctors, especially those yielding knives, I tend to fear undertakers far less. Not sure what it will take to get me to get a replacement knees but I know I am not there yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very interesting - the fear of the knife. Maybe the little laser thingie is less fear-inducing?

      Delete
    2. Give me an undertaker and a coffin any day. I have little use for docs.

      Delete