Monday, 22 September 2014

Low Season Holiday

Gosh, I haven't blogged for a month. Several reasons:  been away, been in bed (bronchitis), been busy, couldn't think of anything good enough to blog about.  Anyway, two weeks ago, we took a 5-night break and drove up the East coast of SA. It's 'low' season here, so it was very peaceful  (all the children were at school) and for once we treated ourselves to 4-star accommodation because a friend offered us his time-share week - we just paid his levy. Lovely to have someone make my bed every day and even nicer to not make a single meal for a whole week. Great to at least have a kettle and a fridge in the room, so we could have endless coffee/tea/whiskey, made the way we like them.  Also, we were treated like royalty everywhere we went e.g. we had individual guided tours around the Raptor Conservation Park and the Snake Park -
such a privilege to get close to these amazing creatures. We were even the sole customers one night when we ate at the most exclusive restaurant in the hotel (but even its prices were very reasonable).  Still, eating out all the time does clock up quite a total so it was also good to come home.  Just some pics while I think about what to blog about next...

6 comments:

  1. Good to see you back, I have missed your wit and take on things. I can't say I am too fond of your long friend in photo 1. I don't care for snakes. I think it is an instinctive thing. Otherwise your trip sounded wonderful.

    Hope you are over your bronchitis, that can be miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get asthma, so the bronchitis is a bind. Still 'chesty' after two lots of anti-biotics. Doc says this winter's virus can last three months. Feel OK though. Delighted to be missed.

      Delete
  2. I too am glad you're back. I love snakes and birds, just dislike spiders.
    Feel better, bronchitis is no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say handling the snakes was surprisingly pleasant (I understand they are very well fed) and quite calming in fact. I don't like spiders either. We are trying to learn to identify the really poisonous snakes in our area. The only one to really worry about is the Puff adder which is slow and likes to lie in the middle of a path where you don't see him. I am assured that the other run away.

      Delete
  3. I have had a photo taken with a snake hanging around my neck, much more bigger than what you had there and it was heavy! Hope you are feeling more better than ever and yes, it is nice to be treated royalty once in a while. - Howard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Howard, many thanks for the link to 'Breath Problems" - that offers a comprehensive overview as to why I still have residual problems, Nice to know one is not alone. thank you for your good wishes.

      Delete