Friday, 8 August 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

 
Book by John Green

As we have to read this book for Book Club this month, I went to see the movie, just opened at our local cinema.  I was half-way through the book at the time and the movie was just right - every character was just as I had imagined them, whether that is a compliment to the author or to the director I don't know. What a heart-breaking, thoughtful, intelligent film.  The book is meant for teenagers but the two cancer-sufferers, aged 16 and 17, who fall in love are so bright and mature in their clear-eyed recognition of their lot in life and their no-nonsense, sometimes even brutally honest, analysis of their lives and love,  mean that the text merits complete adult attention. I will give nothing away, save to tell you that the philosophy of Hazel Grace so totally echoes my own tentative attitude to my own existence and place on the planet, that I felt uplifted, vindicated, relieved and encouraged by the end of both the book and the movie. I also thank my lucky stars that I have been privileged to live my life into my sixties with no serious health problems so far. It is necessary to be reminded that the stars can be randomly cruel and we should cherish every good moment.

4 comments:

  1. I have not read the book, but it does sound intriguing. I appreciate your philosophy on life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read the book yet but plan to. I hear it is smart to keep a hankie handy. Those of us who complain about old age, would do well to read that book to realize how fortunate we are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am gutless. No desire to read about dying kids. It is just too damned hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should steel (soft) heart and read the book anyway. I think you will really appreciate it.

      Delete