Tuesday, 22 July 2014

Why I won't get to see Oklahoma

 
Google image

Considering that I absolutely love musicals, especially the old ones, it's been something of a disappointment to me that my husband has no time for them.  He just can't understand that people can stand on a stage and sing to each other when they should be talking. And the dance routines leave him cold. Likewise he cannot understand the attraction of ballet (no talking at all!) and I don't need to mention his stance on opera, especially not since I slept through most of the last one.  However, it was my birthday this month and there is a production of Oklahoma at our city theatre - with a cast of 70 and a full orchestra. Bliss could be mine, if only...  I know he would have gritted his teeth and agreed to go for my sake - but I left it too late to get tickets. Well, usually there is nothing on in the winter month of my birthday here (I've given up looking, all the shows usually seem to be taking break).  Also, we went out to a pizza restaurant of my choice last night and predictably, he chose the worst thing on the menu and refused to either eat it or pay for it  (very dry chicken schnitzel). He ended up sharing my son's pizza and looking martyred. So that's it for this year: on the plus side though,  I control our family budget which usually means I decide there is no need for me to have new clothes unless they actually fall apart. The last time we happened to shop together though, I found two shirts I liked and hubby insisted I get another 4, pointing out (justly) that all my clothes are very long in the tooth. So don't get the wrong impression: he's a lovely man in many ways.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry I am from your husband's camp regarding musicals. Pure hell. I would rather see an opera...I like much of the music in opera, just can't stand the bellowing--although I do have a thing for some of Kiri Te Kanawa's arias...but that might be a little lust generated in the ear rather than a love for music.

    My mother in law loves Nelson Eddy / Jeanette MacDonald movies. She can watch them endlessly. When I die and go to hell, I will be playing opposite of Jeanette MacDonald in an eternal musical. "I am calling yoooooouuuuuuuhoohoohoohoo." Oh God! May the saints preserve me.

    The next time you are really pissed off with your husband, play him this:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8KesxHBVOU

    Guaranteed to drive him insane.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clicked on this link - bliss! I listened a whole afternoon to all the other Youtube clips of their movies. Oh, he was so handsome!

      Delete
  2. I don't mind live musical productions on occasion, but I really have no use for movie versions of musicals. The last time I bought myself a ticket for a theater production (Jan/2013) Mike said he would go with me. I had not even asked him, just bought the one ticket. So I got him a ticket and we went together, but I should have known right then and there something was not right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i love musicals and non-musical plays and ballet and am even sort of okay with opera. Wish we lived closer. I'd go with you for sure! If you've ever had a chance to see the DVD of the London production of "Oklahoma" with Hugh Jackman -- that is absolutely wonderful. I agree with Olga that movie versions of Broadway musicals are usually horrible. But there's something magical about the stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is a movie director limits your view to certain camera shots of his choice, so that you often dont' get to see a panoramic view of a breath-taking dance routine etc. That's my main gripe. NB - I'd love to go with you! Am going to find all the Youtube clips I can of any production to indulge my passion a bit. Just love Hugh Jackman - great actor and singer.

      Delete