Thursday, 31 July 2014

Do you Wear Jeggings?

 
Do I dare?

I always took note when my mother disapproved of ladies of a certain age wearing clothes that in her opinion were "mutton dressed as lamb". Nowadays, it seems that anything goes, but does it really?  I've never been particularly interested in fashion myself, reasoning that it is an ephemeral industry which exists solely to give women complexes about their appearances - and to make money. I have believed in dressing in order to flatter the better aspects of my shape and to draw attention away from the worse ones.  This winter, everyone from six to eighty has been wearing 'jeggings', a cross between jeans and leggings, my daughter informs me. They are usually worn with calf-length boots and longer tops, although the younger, the wearer, the shorter the tops - not always to the wearer's advantage in my opinion.  But then the young must be with the 'in' crowd or face the consequences, no matter their shape. Up to now, I have steadfastly refused to follow the trend, even though I am starting to stand out as the lone shopper with the straight-leg jeans. I am even starting to feel uncomfortable in my comfortable clothes. Even the oldest ladies are looking good to me. Is everyone looking at me? Should I give in? Happily, spring is imminent. I think I can hold out until then.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe with a long tunic top to cover the tragic turn around in my body since I hit a certain age. I went from round butt and flat belly to flat butt and round belly. Maybe if I wore them backwards?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just a gorgeous reply, Olga. Love it. Do post a pic should you try it!

      Delete
  2. Mutton dressed as a lamb! I almost fell out of the chair. My mother in law alway says, "does SHE not have mirrors?"

    Your post strikes a nerve with me. I have never heard my mother in law say "does HE not have mirrors?"

    You hit the nail right on the head:

    "I've never been particularly interested in fashion myself, reasoning that it is an ephemeral industry which exists solely to give women complexes about their appearances - and to make money."

    Bingo! And it doesn't stop at fashion, whiter teeth, hair color, bikini trims, big boobs, too big of boobs, designer vaginas, high heel shoes (I admit a weakness for conservative models in red, three inch heel plain pump with no skanky frills and I am putty in my wife's hands...although I have never been tempted to kiss a woman's foot at an airport--that still infuriates me when I think about it, oily S.O.B.), face jobs...etc etc. There are whole industries devoted to instilling and profiting off of women's insecurities.

    Resist my dear. March to the beat of your own drummer. Wear what you are comfortable with and to hell with what everyone else is wearing. Mutton dressed as a lamb? Or sheep?

    Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement: Occasionally while walking through a department store I will see someone and think: look at that ugly bastard. As I get closer I realize it is a mirror. I am not sure that one who is so pathetically beyond the hopes of being aided by fashion should comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The interesting thing is that we women almost never notice what men are wearing, with the exception of our own. My husband, however, points out to me every guy that has a bigger paunch than his. NB. This is most men, as my husband does his daredest to stay in as good a shape as he can manage.

      Delete