Friday, 6 June 2014

Murphy's Law hit me today

Google image - I was wearing more clothes!

We've had rainy, stormy weather since we moved last week-end, but today dawned sunny, so I decided to experiment with our new bus system, as there is a stop right outside our complex. I looked up the requisite times and buses on the website and duly got to the shops not much later than I would have in my car. I had an appointment back at the apartment with our previous tenant (she needed to return my hairdryer and fetch her paintings) and had allowed plenty of time to return.  I got a phone call to ask if she could come earlier and that was also fine with me: plenty of time. So there I was at the bus stop, a good ten minutes early: the bus didn't come - and it didn't come. Eventually, it was twenty minutes late and I was starting to worry, though I should still have made it with 5 minutes to spare. Imagine my surprise when it neared my stop and a road-surfacing team had suddenly appeared since I had left home and blocked off the left-hand side of the road (we drive on the left) for what looked like miles ahead - making it completely impossible for the bus to stop at my stop. The driver had no choice but to carry on down the single lane and drop me off as soon as she could - about 2 miles from my house! I had no choice but to cross the road and hold up my thumb.  I've actually never hitch-hiked in my life: my mother forbade it, but needs must. Happily, a kind lady was the first car in the queue and she helped me out.  Turns out she was from Germany and we had a quick chat about the state of the world before I hopped out.  Her opinion was interesting: she thinks that compared with Europe, South Africa has real heart and its citizens are filled for the most part with a zest and a faith to 'make it work'. She gave me food for thought. And guess what? I was only two minutes late for my appointment.

5 comments:

  1. Your life is filled with adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach, sometimes the smallest things make a good story.

      Delete
  2. Wow! You have a bigger set than I got. No way I would hitch hike any where. It would have been a pleasant walk. Don't you still have your scooter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Needs must. I am never late for appointments if I can help it. NB. My husband has decided to work another six months on contract after his official retirement in August. So we have to live close to his work. Our little flat won't be needed for holiday rentals until December. It is low season now. Meanwhile, our retirement home looks like a warehouse - I'll put up some pics. So we still work there week-ends - trying to sort out (and hopefully throw out!!)

      Delete
    2. Oh, hubby made me leave my scooter at our retirement house in the garage. There is no parking here, the weather is rainy and this side of town, the drivers are maniacs.

      Delete