Tuesday, 20 May 2014

My House Hates me!

Google image - but could be us

Well, I suppose that's a bit strong.  I thought it would be a good thing to gradually move our things out of this house and over to our retirement home. We are lucky to be able to and so and for the last few week-ends we have hooked up our small trailer and moved most of the insides of our cupboards, the outside shed and M's garage. This coming week-end will be quite traumatic as the big furniture and the beds are going via my son-in-law's good grace in one of his trucks. We will still have a week to go after that and have brought back several single mattresses from our other house - two for us to sleep on the floor and the two thinner ones for small son. What I hadn't bargained on was the subtle withdrawal of my home from my ownership.  We've left the pictures on all the walls (and the TVs) until last but when they go...  I feel as if my house has already deliberately withdrawn itself from us and our past history.  It is giving us the cold shoulder and turning its face towards its new owners. It is stolidly unforgiving: how could we abandon it after 23 years?  I am at the point where I can't wait to go and get it over with. Enough of this anthropomorphic stuff. Why should the house care who lives in it and what pictures adorn its walls? What made it home, was us and our stuff.  And so on to the next....

6 comments:

  1. I have always suspected that houses retain a bit of the Souls of their inhabitants, and the inhabitants retain a bit of the Soul of the house.

    I still have a fond spot in my heart for the dump of an apartment where my wife and I wedded (in a very squeaky beat to hell bed in a ceremony attended only by two...the affair that happened two years later in a church attended by a handful of people with severe doubts about us was just a public notification of the union that took place 24 months prior).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. My aunt was heard to say at my wedding reception, "Never mind, (to my mother), I'm sure it won't last long".

      Delete
  2. I'm feeling stressed for entirely different reasons, but I can relate to your desire to be done with it. Me... I still have teen-aged kids at home and it's the time when schools are just about to close; hence, parties, graduations, unexpected shopping trips, etc.

    Sooo, I just had two pieces of chocolate for a temporary joy fix. I wish the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so sympathise. I always dreaded school holidays. The teenage years were murder. Good luck and have another chocolate.

      Delete
  3. Natural that you would feel conflicted about the move even as you are excited about it. I am sure the house will get over it and remember you all fondly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just love your sense of humor, Olga. You make me feel more kindly towards my house.

      Delete