Monday, 10 March 2014

Let them Eat....Natural Fats

 
How nice is this?

We are in the middle of a food revolution in South Africa and it is a sensational topic of conversation at the moment.  We have a highly respected Sports Science guru, Dr Tim Noakes, who has been in our media for years promoting good health and exercise in various ways.  His latest theory, based on extensive and scientific research says that it is not eating fat that clogs our arteries and causes all kinds of problems: the real culprits are complex carbohydrates!  He has written a marvelous and stunningly illustrated cookery book containing all the information you might need to convince you to change to this regime: "The Real Meal Revolution". Basically, you avoid anything 'white' i.e. anything made with flour and all sweets, anything preserved with MSG, sweeteners, except Xylitol, all take-away foods, ice-cream and instant meals etc.  You do eat: lots of full-cream yoghurt, full-cream milk,  pork chops, lots of bacon, eggs every day, meat with the fat on and save your pork dripping to fry other stuff in, or use butter to cook with.  No vegetable oils except olive oil and you can use coconut oil instead. Lots of it is psychological:  if you love pasta and will miss it - just julienne some long courgettes instead.  Fry slices of aubergine to put under your fried egg,  make mashed 'potato' with cooked cauliflower, blitzed with a little milk and butter.  Use slices of aubergine in a lasagne instead of pasta sheets.  For bread, listen to this, you take two cups of flax (linseeds),  grind them to release the high Omega-3 content, blitz with 5 egg whites, 2 whole eggs, 60 mls olive oil, tsp salt, 1 tsp baking powder - I think that's all.  Guess what?  I made it - it works and looks just like the picture and my brain thinks it is just a loaf of ordinary brown bread. The amazing thing is, people like my husband, who have battled with their weight their whole lives, are finding the weight is falling off - wait for it - especially around their stomachs.  My husband has pulled in his belt two notches after two weeks and I weigh less than I ever have in the last thirty years.  The funny thing is, I keep thinking back to the way I grew up. My mother did most of this  - and she lived to be 90, my dad 95.  Look into it.  Meanwhile, back to my pork chop.....

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I have been craving pork chops lately. And I don't usually eat meat. It sounds too good to be true that you could lose weight on this diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just in South Africa! This is all over the web. Google low carb high fat. Also, this diet is very similar to the Paleo diet. I started this last August and am now wearing clothes I was too big for for the last fifteen or twenty years. See http://www.dietdoctor.com/ one of my favorite lchf websites. He posts a lot of research. Also, if you cook, there are many websites with good low carb recipes. A favorite is http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ for deserts. I am convinced that this diet is going to spread rapidly through all countries with an obesity problem.
    And congratulations to you and your husband on the weight loss!
    Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I feel better with less white stuff, but I don't know about the high fat idea. That will take a psychological shift for me. Moderation is my plan of attack.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alas, I love white stuff. A life without pasta and bread are not worth living. Tomato sauce is a gift of the gods and you eschew it at the risk of eternal damnation!

    However, I have stopped all sugary stuff and replaced snacks with carrots and grape tomatoes and cut down the portions at dinner of the white stuff with salads (which I also love). My wife is a vegetarian and we haven't eaten meat for over 10 years, so I don't think we would be able to adopt this particular diet.

    Improvements to my diet has resulted in weight loss, 8 pounds last month. I expect that to level out, but I would like to lose close to 50 pounds.

    Standard red bricks used in US house construction weigh about 6 pounds apiece. So by being 50 pounds overweight, I am carrying 8 red bricks around. I get out of bed and pick up a package of 8 red bricks and carry them all day long. No matter what I do, I have a box of red bricks to carry around. Last month I took one brick off that pile. I hope to keep reducing that load...at my age, my life may depend on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is amazing to carry all those bricks around. I have always been awed that a pound of butter looks like such a lot. Good luck with the goal weight: hit any plateaux yet? I wouldn't miss meat (except I do love pork) as we get quite a lot of mutton and venison free from our Karoo farming relatives. All food is expensive nowadays, so that's a real gift for us.

      Delete
  5. The first thing I had to do was to look up aubergine (which I've seen, but couldn't remember) and courgette - to see that is is eggplant and zucchini. :)

    I eat my share of sweets which is the white stuff, but eat brown bread and rice. High blood pressure runs in my family, so I wonder about the fats. Just when I trust one set of rules, the rules change. So as Olga said, I'll stick with everything in moderation.

    Continued best wishes and luck to you and your husband as the pounds drop off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good wishes - just pulled in my belt another notch!

      Delete