Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Frames of Reference - Naked Mole Gets Rat Dressed?

 
Google image

When we see what we expect to see and hear what we expect to hear, we get a glance into our own secret psyches. Example:  I was shelving books at the children's library this week and one title caught my eye.  I thought it said:  
     "Naked Mole Gets Rat Dressed".
What is actually said was:  "Naked Mole Rat Gets Dressed".  What was I thinking?  I excuse myself because I had not actually heard of a Mole Rat before.  But still.  On another day, I was paging through a book of children's rhymes and substituted 'bum' for 'tum'.  Okay, okay, so I think more about sex than I perhaps should: it's not easy keeping up with your husband in your sixties, especially when he still thinks you are the best thing since sliced bread. I am not willing to let that go in a hurry and so I expend a fair bit of effort on keeping my end up (so to speak). Lo and behold whilst thinking on these things, I came across the following in a detective novel I am reading.  The detective hears a newspaper vendor shouting out the headlines:  he hears,  "Turkle, an Honest Liar".  What the man actually said was, "Two Killed in Hunslet Fire".  So there we are. PS - Try as I might I could not find an attractive picture of a mole rat, but at least I now see why in the story, he needed clothes.

1 comment: