Friday, 3 January 2014

Foot in Mouth



I was recently asked to attend an AGM for a voluntary organisation for which I work a few hours a week. I went reluctantly as I don't enjoy these affairs but I was asked to represent someone.  It's only once a year that all the volunteers get together and we don't all know each other.  The chairlady confided to me afterwards that some-one had whispered in her ear: "Who are all these people who come out of the woodwork when there is free tea and cake?".  Once I had got over my indignation,  (after all I've worked here for ten years), I was quite amused because amongst my own group of lady friends, I am well-known for not joining any club in which food is the focus as I just look at a piece of cake and put on 3 pounds.  Apparently, the chairlady disabused this person of their wrong impression after which a shame-faced apology was forthcoming. This is another example of don't 'assume', because it makes and 'Ass' out of 'u' and 'me' .  Moving on...

1 comment:

  1. There is nothing quite like being falsely accused when attending a pain in the ass affair that you consider a ah, well pain in the ass. Who the hell sells their soul for free tea and cake?

    ReplyDelete