Sunday, 3 November 2013

Blinded by Science

 
NB- We have 3-pin plugs in SA. Another bone of contention

I might have mentioned that I have been very much in awe of our smart, new SMEG dishwasher?  Well, this week I switched it on before we went to bed and emptied it in the morning, thinking that the teaspoons felt a bit 'gungy',  and then noticed that none of the lights was flashing.  Normally, it signals the end of its cycle by intermitttently flashing all the lights.  Then I noticed water pooled in the bottom. Eventually, I worked out it had stopped half-way through its cycle and nothing I could do would persuade it to continue. Got the book out. No help.  Checked the plug, noticed that the washing machine which shares the same double plug was working so what was the problem?  I then found a tea-bag in the cutlery container and saw that the water was a murky brown color. Came to the obvious conclusion - this machine is so clever is does not like to rinse with murky water and has thus switched itself off.  Waited for hubby.  He gave me an odd look, when he heard my theory, pulled the machine away from the wall and checked the extension (four sockets in a row) to which the new machine was attached as its cord was too short to plug straight into the wall where the old one was situated.  It was faulty. Hubby fixed it.  All back to normal.  Book showed us how to 'annul' the programme, so that the machine could empty out its water and we could start it again. (Grumble: so many appliances today come with very measly lengths of cord, witness my new hairdryer - have to get the extension out. Same complaint.) So there you are. Please remember my skills are linguistic and that I gave up the mysteries of science/physics/electricity subjects at school when I was 13. As my husband observed, what would I do without him? My answer to this is that we compliment each other.

5 comments:

  1. I consider all things electrical to be some kind of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just as valid, what would hubby do with out you. Personally I feel women are worth more then men.

    Are you sure your dishwasher is not overloading the extension cord. The current requirements of the dish washer should be less than what the cord is rated for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only plug on the cord (of three), but the thing has a red button on which seems to be super-sensitive and trips for apparently nothing. I think it's the same one that we had in the lounge, where it did the same thing. Think it's faulty.

      Delete
  3. If the cord was used on a high current device, it just may be that the circuit breaker is a "fast blow" and is blowing on the inrush current even though the cord may be rated for the working current of the dish washer. As such it may not be defective...it just works too good. Switch it to an application with no electric motors. If it was tripping on a low current application in the lounge throw it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I even understand what you are getting at. Will do.

      Delete