Thursday, 12 September 2013

Leaving the Littlies....

Them being brave

When my daughter announced a year ago that she and her husband would like to get away for a week, leaving their children with me and the other granny, I didn't give it much thought - it was so far away.  It happened last week.  Hence no blog posts - the children are now 5 1/2 and 2 1/2.  My daughter let slip, as they were on the way to the airport and thence to Bali, that the little one had run a high temperature during the night and had vomited and her brother had complained of a sore ear.  To this end, she had booked them an appointment with the family doctor to which I should take them the next day.  I am sure I need not detail the traumatic week-end that followed, the tears, the vomit, the raging temperatures, the heart-breaking "I want my mommy" and "when is my mommy coming back", and "is my mommy coming to fetch me NOW?"  We survived and of course, both children were full of beans the next day, having consumed their first two doses of antibiotics and well able to enjoy their cousin's birthday party.  Thankfully, the other granny took over during the week and we had them again only for the last two nights.  As an interesting perspective, I would like to relate the comment the 5-year-old made when we were on the way to the airport to fetch the parents:  "My mommy has been away so long, she is going to be so old when she comes back".  I have never been more grateful to see someone arrive back from a vacation safe and sound.  And I have been vocal about my disapproval of anyone leaving small children for so long. 

5 comments:

  1. So sad when kids are sick. Of course they want their mom. You were brave to take on this favor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olga. thanks for visiting. Hope you are taking it one day at a time.

      Delete
  2. Its is a shame that they got sick for the visit. That makes missing their parents all the harder, and made your time with them far more difficult.

    Children's logic constructions are fascinating. Mommy has been gone for a long time, she will be old. I have read that we measure time as a fraction of our lives, so a week to 5 year old child is equates to about 12 weeks for a 60 year old person. I doubt it is quite that linear but I think the idea holds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. That's interesting. Hellish long time for a 5-year old. Also, I didn't know a week-end could be so long - or one night.

      Delete
  3. I was blessed to be able to care for my grandkiddies (14mos & 3yrs) for a week while their parents went to Mexico with her family. Thankfully no one was ill but we had a blast. By the evening my son & DIL were coming back, the 3 of us were ready for them to come back. I even got us to church 20minutes early! I don't think that ever happened when I was raising my 4 kids!

    ReplyDelete