Thursday, 9 May 2013

Bullied about Height






Hubby - 6 feet tall
 Planned splashback tiles
I have always thought of myself as average height for a European female:  1.65m (5'5"). However, when it came to deciding the height of my kitchen cupboards, I encountered resistance from the males, and being outnumbered, (foolishly) agreed to a compromise.  We have lived in this house for 22 years and I have always found the height of the cupboards to be perfect (maybe the norms were different then?)  Now, I get told by the cupboard guy, backed up by my husband, that the standard height for cupboards to start above the work surface, is 10cms higher than my old cupboards. I immediately realised that this would mean that I could only access the bottom shelf with any comfort and would have to tilt my neck to see any items on the second shelf up. I was outnumbered: both of the guys in question are over six feet. Cowed, I agreed to the new height and if it wasn't for the fact that we shall probably be selling this house next year, I might have, albeit feebly, stuck to my guns. In an effort at appeasement, my husband has bought me a light aluminum stepladder which is to hang on my back door by two hooks. Even so, I am not really happy.  I shall have to resort to high heels.  Are kitchens designed exclusively by men? Will the eventual new lady occupant of this house be tall? I have to remember that my husband cooks in this kitchen at least as much as I do.  That seems to imply that I don't have a leg to stand on. Ah well, life is a compromise. Meanwhile, it took hubby all of one day to get the old tiles off the wall so far. For the first time ever, we are going to get someone in to do the tiling - floor and splashbacks.

1 comment:

  1. Your photos are covering your sentences. Try busting up your text into paragraphs separated by a blank line and move your photos to the blank line.

    Well I was going to use the argument who the hell uses the kitchen, these men or you? You kind of defused that. So as a non-verbal revolt, take some rope and tie two large loops around the top of the ladder for shoulder straps. When you are cooking have the ladder strapped to your back. When asked what the hell you are doing, tell him that your tired of fetching the ladder every time you need something from the damned cupboards that were designed for tall men. I think you should have stuck to your guns. At the risk of sounding sexist, the kitchen is the woman's turf. A man is usually an interloper at best.

    ReplyDelete