Tuesday, 23 April 2013

More on The Lazy One

 
Google pic

Back from the library this morning after my two-hour physical fitness stint of shelving books. The Lazy One was again absent this week - on sick leave. This time her foot is sore. I ventured a guess that by the end of the financial year, she would have used up every one of her sick days. The upside is that the staff hardly ever notice her absence, as she does so little when she is there. They have got used to gradually taking over most of her tasks.  There is no hope of even getting her a disciplinary hearing because she is a "BEE" appointment, (Black Economic Advancement).  A real source of irritation is that she is paid on the same grade as the Deputy Librarian. The ironies of life. Amazing - when I tried to find a Google pic to illustrate this story - they were 98% men!  But I liked the words of this one.

4 comments:

  1. It used to drive me crazy when I was working--those who felt it was an obligation to take every single sick day. I especially remember the coworker who manages to get a major flu for the entire week after winter break--you know, forcing her to stay in Aruba for that extra time, poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it's the same the world over. The Australians call it 'taking your sickies'.

      Delete
  2. That problem goes across all stratum. We had managers, engineers, contract administrators, and technicians that I thought the company would be further ahead to offer them early retirement and not even replace them. Just get rid of them, pay them to not come to work and we would be better off.

    Some people don't do shit, I can tolerate them. It was the ones that not only did not do shit but stirred the shit for the rest of us poor bastards that had to take up the slack that I found repressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, there's always at least one of those.

      Delete