Thursday, 14 March 2013

I Just Don't Like Violin Music

How sad is he?

I am not much of a music listener: I prefer Talk Radio because I seem to be obsessed with the need to learn all the time, whether in my car, doing the ironing or during periods of insomnia at night. My parents thought when we were young, that one should study in silence, so I have that habit also. I can't even have the radio on when I'm writing a post, or indeed, reading other people's posts. However, sometimes when in a traffic jam in my car I switch to the Classical Music station when there is nothing else on, and whatever piece is playing, it's always dominated by the screeching, whining violins. And there are always so many of them in an orchestra and they sit at the front. My brother and his wife took me to a concert/recital? once which featured a young, virtuoso violinist.  While I could admire her skill and dexterity, not to mention the number of notes she had committed to memory, I was not really taken with the music. Violins are plaintive creatures, I challenge anyone to deny it, with the exception perhaps of Irish folk music, as exhibited by those heavenly girls in the Michael Flatley shows, but I enjoyed them perhaps as much for their lovely whirling locks and short skirts as for their music. By contrast, I love the brass instruments in an orchestra as well as the wind. I also have a soft spot for the harp which has a soft, beguiling, romantic sound.  Does anyone agree?

8 comments:

  1. I agree with you about silence when I am writing or reading. I don't like background noise of any kind actually. Violin music is okay for me, though--when all I have to do is listen or (scarily, perhaps) drive my car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree and disagree. I love the strings but they can be abused. But imagine Rimski Korsakov's Scheherazade without the violin solos. I love the heavier strings and loved music conducted by Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony because he emphasized the cellos and bass viols.

    I immensely dislike fiddles played in American Country Western and Blue Grass. Irish music, I do like but hope there is more than just a violin. Must have the uillean pipes and tin whistles.

    Too much brass can be overdone and then it sounds like a high school band to me. The violin is a remarkable instrument. The winds and harp agreed are wonderful.

    Grit your teeth and listen to this piece by Oystein Sevag and his then wife Maria Eisenburger playing the violin. Check out the range of the crescendo or glissando (not sure what you would call it) at 4:05.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbmTqWfgdiU

    Simply magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK. I always take your advice so I'll be checking this out as soon as I have my normal Internet connection working again. Using 3G today (new experience) - big son came this morning and set it up, but it's for when we are away on holiday so don't want to use all the GIgs now....

      Delete
    2. Amazing... this music is beautiful but almost spine-chilling. The 'special effects' in the background seem to have a lot to do with it. Echo etc. I'll listen to more..

      Delete
  3. I am amazed to get This is a great posting I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is delightful. It reminds me of Amy Tan's mother. Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
  4. I agree, I dont care for violin music. I am now finding the silence so comforting when I used to hate silence. Weird for me to like silence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am finding a lot of things weird as I get older.

      Delete